twenty-three :: maya meets promises

A/N: In this chapter Maya sings "If I could fly" by One Direction. Whether or not you like the boy band, the song is beautiful and I think fits perfectly for this story! The song was just released so I'll upload a video when I find a good one.

Lucas' POV:

I stood before the woman who single handedly broke my heart and every fiber of my being.

But I also saw the pain that flashed before her eyes. She was sorry- I knew that.

I could forgive her- I knew that.

But will I ever shake the feeling of being abandoned? Especially by someone I care so deeply for?

"Lucas?" Maya said waking me from my day dream.

"Sorry" I said out of impulse, snapping back into reality.

She gave me a small smile.

I dreamt about the day I would have her back in my arms again. Why was I wasting this time with her?

"I forgive you, Maya." I said, "But I want to make sure you know that I can't handle you being away from me. It broke my heart, and I don't think I can handle anything like this again."

She stepped closer to me. My heart aching at every step.

She put her hand on my shoulder, "I won't hurt you Lucas. Ever."

It only took me a second to believe her words. And in an instant I engulfed her in a hug. Her small body fit perfectly in mine and it felt so good to have her in my arms again.

"It's time for you to come home." I whispered in her ear.

-

Maya and I walked into our apartment. Everything was exactly the same as when she left.

Maya walked towards the piano in the corner of our living room. Her finger traced the piano as she sat on the stool.

She turned to me her eyes shining brightly, "I used to play at cafes after I left. Everyday I would sing the same song- over and over."

I walked towards her, "What did you sing?"

"It was about you," She looked up to me, "And every moment I spent apart from you."

"Will you play it for me?" I asked her.

She nodded.

Her fingers started to play the piano, it sounded beautiful and her emotions were fully connected to the song.

"If I could fly, I'd be coming right back home to you." She sang her voice deep and soulful. You could tell this song meant a lot to her.

"I think I might, even when everything's all left untold. Pay attention, I hope you might listen cause I let my guard down right now I'm completely defenseless."

Maya was defenseless. She was going through pain too- sometimes it's hard to forget when you're going through pain of your own.

"For your eyes only, I showed you my heart for when you're lonely- forget who you are I'm missing half of me.

When we're apart, when you're lonely, for your eyes only. "

"I've got scars. Even though they can't always be seen. I think it's hard, but even though I don't feel a thing.

Pay attention, I hope that you listen, cause I let my guard down, right now I'm completely defenseless.

I can feel your heart inside of mine, I feel it, I feel it. I've been going out of my mind.