Chapter Five: Talking to the Brits

Chapter Five. Yeah that’s all I got to say.

“Why can’t you go?” Beth asked through the phone. I had just told her about how I couldn’t go.

            “My mom was mad because stupid Mr. Callahan called her, and she gave me all these expectations about how I can’t get in trouble in school anymore, can’t disrespect her or teachers, and I can’t rebel in anyway. As if any of those things would ever happen.” I complained. I glanced at my clock, 8:36. As early as it was, I was tired and just wanted to go to sleep. I had come over to Beth’s house again, but only to help Beth with the homework she missed while she was at the dentist.

            “That sucks. I can’t believe your mom is just mad at you because of that. I mean, you would never do any of those things. She really didn’t have to ground you…” Beth said and yawned before she picked up where she left off, “anyway, that sucks for her because you’re still going.”

            “What? Wait how?” I made a face and got under my covers, not even bothering to change into my PJs.

            “Wow, you really don’t know?” Beth asked.

            “No…should I?” I took off my socks from underneath the covers. What a waste of a good outfit, I didn’t even talk to Cameron. Wait he has a girlfriend, get a hold of yourself, Rose. As I took them off, I felt something. When I grabbed onto it, I felt it was paper. I read it and it had a phone number. Oh yeah, the number my father said he would leave me the day he left. I set it down on my drawer next to my bed and lamp.

            “We’re going to sneak you out, duh.” Beth said. I nearly dropped my phone.

            “What? No, I’m not going to do it. Get in more trouble than I already am? That’d be great!” I sarcastically spat.

            “Come on. I’ve done it before; it’s not even that hard. You know how you have that big tree by your window? Just climb down from it. It’s really that simple.” Beth offered.

            “No, it’s not going to work out. Let’s just drop the subject.” I sighed and turned off my lamp light on my drawer and it was currently the only light lighting my room.

            “Remember that one time I snuck out from your house? You know? When Jackson wanted to hang out but my mom didn’t let me so I came over to your house and you were the one who offered the way out by the tree. It worked, so don’t tell me it won’t work.” Beth said. I sighed, she had a point. When Beth wanted to hang out with Jackson, her ex-boyfriend, back in sophomore year, I helped her escape. I looked around in my dark room and I could barely make out the window in the dark. I did see the leaves off the tree, though.

            “Okay, okay. But if I get in more trouble, it’s all on you and it’ll be on your self-conscious for the rest of your life. That you, Beth Davies, were the reason for my death.” I said.

            “Oh shut up,” Beth giggled. I heard a loud crash coming from the other side of the phone, “Shit, got to go. Squirt just dropped a glass cup of water and I got to help him clean it up before my dad or mom finds out.” Squirt was Beth’s little brother, who’s actual name was Ryan. Beth and I have always called him Squirt because one day while we were hanging out in freshman year, she told me about how Ryan had peed himself on the playground the day before. He was in fifth grade at the time. Every time we called him that, Ryan would always get mad, but now he just used to it. The only time he gets mad is if someone asks why we call him that and we begin to explain, he always changes the conversation.