Chapter One- Trade-In-Trade-Out Program (TITO)

So this is my second novel *cough-my first one is The Driven Mad-cough* (UPDATE-I SCRAPPED THE DRIVEN MAD, I JUST WASN'T FEELING IT), and I like the plot for this story, so I'm just kinda hoping you guys do, too. It's about a girl named Rose and a guy named Jonah (who's British). Drama drama drama happens involving a second choice, a pushed away past, and a jealous girl. I hope that recap didn't suck so badly. Anyway, here's the story!

"Are you excited?" Beth asks me. I roll my eyes. Beth is my best friend; she has blonde long hair with big bright green eyes, which at the moment were staring at me with anticipation. She wanted me just as excited as she was, but honestly I wasn't.

You see, my school was going to be hosting a program called The Trade-In-Trade-Out Program (TITO). It's not something I was particularly excited about. How it worked was that a group of students from our school, which would be picked among the school's teachers, would be able to go to London for a year and study there. The reason students at my school wouldn't be upset if they didn't get picked, was that a group of students at the school in London we're doing the program with, will also be able to come over here to our school and study here for the same amount of time. This makes sense, since we are a state that most people want to go to and we have the best school in our state. Which is a big deal, because our school is so small that if you're new, it's hard to not get noticed, you practically have to get out of your way to prevent it. Since it was a long time to have the chance to stay in London, this made people in our school want to go there even more than they already did, and that people from London would come here for the same amount of time was a plus. We belonged to The Brooklyn Latin School, containing 336 students and 20 teachers. All in all though, this program excited many, including Beth.

"Yeah, I'm sure it'll be interesting." I lied. If I were to tell Beth the truth, she'd look at me with shock, just like the looks other people gave me when they asked and I told them the truth. Before Beth had a chance to reply, our math teacher Mr. Callahan spoke up.

"Excuse me; am I interfering with both of your conversations?" He spat. The entire class turned their heads to the back of the room in the left corner, where Beth and I sat side-by-side.

"Sorry, Mr. Callahan." Beth apologized quickly. I smirked a little, Beth was such a goody-two shoes at school.

Mr. Callahan huffed and shook his head turning his attention back to the board behind him as he continued to teach the class. I, of course, went back to learning as well. It wasn't ideal, but I didn't want to talk to Beth at the time and lie to her about something that in reality was actually really bothering me.

Just when I thought I forgot about the conversation, something lightly fell onto my lap. I turned to look at Beth, who was paying close attention to the board; she must've forgotten the conversation. But where did the note come from? I looked around me, and when I noticed that everyone was looking at board, I decided finally to just see what the crumbled up piece of paper said. My eyes scanned it; it was hard to read because of the wrinkles in the paper. It read:

Hey, are you going to London?

I was confused. I didn't know anyone in this class other than Beth, so getting this note was definitely something new. I wrote back anyway, in hopes that when I'm finished replying I can find who wrote it by seeing who's staring at me, waiting to get it back.

No, I haven't been picked. Why?

I folded the paper this time, crumbled up paper bothered me for some reason. As I looked around, I noticed only one person staring back at me. Sydney.