Chapter Twenty-Four: Issues

Ugh. New chapter. I’m so tired right now lol XD

            “I still can’t believe that happened.” Beth breathed. We were talking on the phone, shortly after I had dropped everyone off, including my new boyfriend.

            “I know.” I sighed. After arriving at my house, it was 4:00. Now, it was 4:30, a half hour before my mother would arrive and eat me alive.

            “I just really can’t.” Beth repeated for the millionth time. Also, when I arrived here, I decided to call Beth. Once I did, everything spilled out. From the kiss to the drunken night. And now, what happened at the mall.

            When I first saw Jonah walking up to us, I thought he was going to call me out. Tell Cameron and everyone about our shared night. So, pure horror, in other words.

            But no, that didn’t happen.

            “Hello, Cam.” Jonah greeted Cameron as soon as he stopped right in front of us both. He nodded his head quickly at everyone else as a greeting, but he saved me for last with only a small recognition as he didn’t look into my eyes.

            “What are you doing here, Jonah?” Cameron asked a tad bit confused. He squeezed my hand and slightly moved me behind him. I guess he never really did get over their long-time grudge.

            “Just thought I’d stop by and say hello.” At this point, Grace had snapped out of her obsession with the stores and noticed Jonah was far away and talking to us. And more importantly, I was part of the group, which she definitely didn’t like. Or at least you could assume the way her nostrils were flaring as she clacked and clicked her high heels over here.

            “Jonah,” She said and grasped his arm, her nails digging into his skin. “You just left me over there.”

            “Sorry.” Jonah said as he looked at me, not taking his eyes off of my face. It was as if he was studying me. Observing me and trying to put my feelings into code.

            “Well, we need to get going. Right, gorgeous?” Cameron turned to me. I studied Jonah back, and his eyes lifted from mine only to look at the arm Cameron had around my waist.

            “Right.”

            “I still can’t get used to the fact that you two are dating! Now I don’t have to listen to Cameron going ‘Do you think she’ll say yes?’ and ‘Oh but what if she says no!’ Seriously, it’s annoying!” Emi laughed. This drew Cameron’s attention away from Jonah as he got defensive and barked back at Emi. But as this went down, I kept my eyes on Jonah. His face changed dramatically.

            From the way his eyes widened at the reference of us dating, and his jaw clenching. Still, he maintained his calm stance.

            “Well we have to get going. Goodbye, Cam.” Jonah turned sharply with Grace and left, pacing away.

            “Well that was weird.” Beth spoke first amongst all of us. I cleared my throat.

            And after that, it was done. I’d prayed over and over in my head that no one thought much about it, but as soon as I called Beth and she asked me what it was all about, I could only tell her everything. So now, I’m only scared to know what Cameron and Emi make of it.

            “And I have another thing to worry about. My mom’s pissed that I didn’t come home straight away when she told me to. Right about now,” I glanced over at my bedside table where the clock sat, reading 4:32, “I have only twenty-eight minutes until I meet my death.”