Chapter Thirty-Nine: Hey There Cliché. Fuck Off.

No time to write anything here. *insert 100000000 apologies* Onto the story because I don’t want to bullshit anything more. Song on side you should listen to though :)

Chapter Thirty-Night: Hey There Cliché. Fuck Off.

            I don’t think I’d ever run in my entire life as fast as I did then. I think Jonah saw me running frantically through the crowd of people because before I knew it, he had begun moving people for me with quick “excuse me”s and asked me calmly what had happened.

            I didn’t answer. My mind was focused on only one thing and I was determined to find out if I was right.

I had never been much for religion or church or anything. But at that moment, I was praying.

I prayed that I was wrong. I concentrated on my own words that formed and escaped quickly through my mind as I struggled to form a complete prayer. I barely remembered anything.  And I remember forgetting completely what I had even said and getting frustrated with myself and trying again.

My entire direction was facing my mother and I could care less what was happening around me. Through the crowd of people, I could barely see her face, only her body. And I was scared that I couldn’t see her face.

“Rose,” Jonah kept saying beside me over and over again. I was trying to block him out. Like I said, my only focus and determination was my mother and this moment.

Finally shoving past the last few people and making it to my mother, I immediately said,

“What happened?” I looked straight into her eyes and searched for a sign of anything. I just wanted to be wrong.

“Your father’s…awoken.” She checked out the last word, her eyes crinkling deeper and her smile forming on her mouth wider and wider.

It took me a minute to process what she said.

“He’s…awake?” I said with a deep breath, still trying to catch my breath.

She nodded, laughing, her eyes creasing more as she laughed harder and harder.

My jaw was slightly open as I stared at her laughing. I debated briefly if I should yell at her for giving me a panic attack, but decided against it.

In this past month, my mother had been particularly stressed out. My father’s accident only made it worse. This was shocking. Even when my father was awake and well and most importantly, here, she hadn’t smiled or laughed nor cried from the happiness like this in a long time.

I let her off the hook.

I started laughing too, and before I knew it, we were both laughing and crying and smiling and feeling a million of emotions as she finally composed herself enough to look behind me and say,

“Jonah? How long have you been there?” I turned around and saw him there as well. His hands were in his pants pockets and he was watching quietly. At the sound of his name, he looked up and first scanned my face before looking back towards my mother.

“Enough to hear the great news. I’m very happy for you both.” He smiled and looked at me with the same smile.

“Thank you, Jonah.” She smiled and gasped as if remembering something, “Shit!”

Mom?

She took the phone to her ear and quickly said, “I’m so sorry Jaime. I just told my daughter and we both got a little overjoyed…thank you for understanding, Jaime…that’d be wonderful, if you could just give us a minute or two to find a quieter place to do it, that’d be great…okay thank you it’ll just take a minute.”