Chapter Thirty: Lovely Valentine's Day

Sorry for late updateeeee! I’ve been so worked up in working on Heaven on Earth and Afterlife that I’ve been neglecting poor little HTCFO! Fear no longer! It is here!!

My life is officially a cliché. It’s been three months and what a great time it is now. February.

Lover’s month.

The month of labor days.

The month many dislike.

The month many love.

The month I hate, regardless of relationship status.

The thing about being single is that you feel this epic self-pity for your ugly and lonely self. You’re so repulsive that no one wants you. Welcome to the single party, we throw major pity parties and are about as pitiful as they get.

Being a relationship (which surprisingly, I’m still in one), you have this new sense of insecurities. You have no idea what to get your significant other-unlike hardcore couples-and you’re left with the thought that no matter what you get them, they’re going to hate it. Sure they can put on a fake smile, but deep inside, you know they’re secretly chocking you for not knowing a thing about them.

And that was my problem.

What was I going to get Cameron? What was he going to get me? I could care less if he got me anything, but I felt obligated to get him something. I could go for the overused chocolates and flowers, but I didn’t want to seem too bland.

At least not all couples were worrying about this too much. Which reminds me, there’s a lot of new sprung love this year. Lots of more people to roll my eyes over and gag at the sight of their snuggling moments and overly-attached sense of PDA.

Logan and Beth were the cutest couple at our school, Brooklyn Latin, in my opinion. The runner-ups were Chad and Sarah. Maybe this was due to the fact that I got Logan and Beth together over our Christmas break. It was all thanks to hard work, but nonetheless, I got them together.

I remembered the excruciating and painfully embarrassing day I had to go through to get them to talk to one another.

I was finally fed up with Logan’s weird signals. I was 85% sure that he liked me, mostly through Beth’s persistence, but I finally got the guts to confront him about it and let him down easily. This happened in the middle of our break, when I agreed to hang out with Logan. He said he had something important to ask me.

Here it goes. I’m finally going to tell him.

“Listen, Logan, I know why you brought me here.” I explained softly. His ears and face turned immediately red.

“You-you do?” He stuttered, looking down at his hands and shuffling on his feet at Valentine’s Coffee’s floor.

“Yeah, I didn’t think I knew at first, but after everyone told me, it was obvious.”

“Really?” He mumbled as he kept looking at the floor.

“Yeah,” I got back to the point, “I just want to let you know; I’m not interested.”

“Wait, what?” Logan looked back up, eyes bewildered.

“It’s okay, Logan. I’m not going to embarrass you or anything.” I continued as stupidly as ever not carefully looking at Logan’s horrified face, “I like you as a brother. As a friend. I’m in a relationship, too. I doubt Cameron would be really happy about your feelings for me anyway.”

“Rose,” Logan stopped me, Thank God saving me from further embarrassment, “I don’t like you.”

Ouch.