Chapter Seventeen: House Party (Part 1)

Okay party time! I know I thought I’d have a bit of the party in the last chapter but it couldn’t fit it in. Anyway I have decided I’m cutting this chapter up into two pieces.

I still kept frozen. I was dead. So dead. I decided the best thing I could do was to stay still and hope that Jonah finds it so weird he just ignores me and goes to his room.

“Why did you just come from Ms. Morris’ room?” Jonah asked. Oh well, I guess I’m caught so I might as well stop hiding.

“I know, Jonah. I know that you two are related and that she’s your mom and that you’re her son.” I said. Time to start confessing, maybe he’ll tell me why he was trying to hide the fact that he’s related to his own mother.

“What? She told you? I told her not to…” Jonah trailed off and began to climb the stairs again, with a very pissed off look on his face.

“Jonah, stop.” I grabbed his wrist and he stopped. “It’s not her fault. I asked her about it.” I lied.

“Still.” He didn’t look back.

“It’s okay. I’m not going to tell.” I let go of his wrist and he didn’t move. Instead he turned back to look at me with his intense gaze. “I would just like to know, if that’s okay, why you don’t want people to know.”

It took a while, but then Jonah came onboard. He took a deep breath before answering.

“I don’t care if people know I’m related to my mother. I just don’t want people to know my father.” He looked away and up to the ceiling. I could tell this was a delicate subject for him.

“What? I don’t understand. How would people know your father?” I asked.

“Back in London everyone knew my father because I guess he used to be an honorable man. Nobody really knew my mother since she kept her maiden name, but since they knew my father, that’s when people knew her. And again, only because they knew my father they knew me when I was born. When he left, people didn’t really know us anymore without the Mr. Mathews. I wanted to keep it that way, so people didn’t know I was related to that asshole.” Jonah looked back at me and searched my eyes. Probably to look for judgment, but I didn’t have any really. But it did get me mad that he was hurting his mom since he probably never told her.

“You should’ve told your mom, stupid.” I said.

“What?” Jonah was obviously not expecting that reaction from me.

“She thinks you hate her. But listen,” I walked closer to him and put my hand on his shoulder, “I think you should tell her about what you just told me. Trust me, things will get better.” Jonah gave me this weird look.

“Why are you doing this?” He asked.

“Doing what?”

“This. Why are you helping me?” He had a very confused face.

“Well you helped me get over Danny and that really meant a lot to me. So thanks again, but I want to help you now.” I smiled. Jonah still looked very puzzled.

“Thanks…” Jonah said. I only nodded and smiled again.

“No problem.” I gave him a pat on his shoulder and began to walk down the stairs again. I could feel Jonah’s eyes on me as I continued to walk.

After everything we’ve been through now, I think that things will get better between us. Now I won’t feel like slapping at him because of his stupid smirk, and I don’t think he’ll try hitting on me twenty-four-seven.

                                                            -=-

So it was the end of the day and it was Friday. The party was going on and it was today. Beth, Emi, and Cameron were over at my house. Sydney and Zoey were supposed to come over too, but Zoey backed out (I wonder why) and Sydney did since Zoey did. Sigh, I’ll never know Zoey’s problem with me. Cameron was over to help with the heavy lifting and Beth and Emi wanted to help me change since they felt bad I was the host for the party. They knew how much it made me anxious that I was responsible for whether this party would be a hit.