Chapter Thirty-Five: An Old Friend

Meh! I think this chapter will be more eventful than the last one! Sorry for the lack of Jonah in advance, I just need to get these things out of the way before I can focus on Jonah and Rose :)

            “I understand that you’re tired but I’m tired, too.” Kylie paused, “Please, Grace, it’ll just be a night and you know how easy it is to sneak out of that place.”

            I was currently driving home from the store, recently having talked to Kylie’s dad, Charlie. And who would you believe I ran into? The devil herself. She was walking not far from the grocery store. It was definitely far from her house.

            “I don’t care where we’d go either! I just can’t stand being in that house with my mom. Please don’t make me have to walk back, Grace…” Kylie begged, all the while I was driving alongside her by the sidewalk, not helping but listening in.

 “Fine. Bye.” Kylie tapped her phone, ending the conversation. She exhaled loudly before letting out a sound of frustration. That’s when she turned and saw me, “What the hell.” Kylie said as she saw me drive by slowly. Okay, so maybe the creeper-drive-by wasn’t a great idea.

            “Uhm…” I scramble for anything to say at this point, drawing an empty blank. “Hi?”

            “Are you stalking me, Clarkson?” Kylie demanded as she slid her hand on her hip and gave me a pointed look.

            “What? No.” I answered almost immediately, about to go on about how I would never follow her, but then I remembered Charlie, who I had talked to not so long ago (literally 10 minutes ago). “I was driving home and I saw you and I couldn’t help but hear you need a ride?” I said in an asking tone, giving her the hint and praying she wouldn’t make me say it.

            She looked at me for a bit, trying to decipher my tone. She finally said, “And why would I need help from you?”

            I rolled my eyes. “Do you want the ride or not? I can gladly drive away and let you ruin your Barney shoes if you please.” I glanced down at her expensive-looking flats and smiled back at her.

            She contemplated my words as she looked down at her feet. She grimaced before looking back up at me. “Fine.”

            The car ride was extremely awkward. As I listened to Robbers by The 1975, all she did was look out of my car window and mumble, “I like this song.” At first, I was shocked someone like Kylie knew about The 1975, but then I cranked up the volume. Better to not talk and let the music play on.

            “We’re home.” I said, almost instinctively as I would with Beth. I cringed a bit and Kylie gave me a weird look just as my mom shouted from her office down the hallway.

            “We?”

            “Yeah,” I ignored Kylie’s stare and walked down the hallway until we were in view of my mom looking down at her papers, reading glasses on. “Kylie’s over.”

            “Kylie?” She set down her pen and look up with interest. Just then Kylie walked into view.

            “Hey, Mrs. Clarkson.” She smiled sweetly.

            “Hello, Kylie. It’s been a long time.” My mom smiled at her. I kept holding back the scoffs that were bound to roll of my tongue. My mom already knew just how much Kylie hated me.