Chapter Ten: Surprise, Surprise.

Didn’t see the last part from the last chapter coming? Anyway, continued…

“Cameron?” I said, astonished. Of course he was there, but for some reason I had to check.

            “Rose?” He did the same.

            “Do you both know each other?” Mrs. Valentine stepped in, obviously confused. I forgot I needed to catch her up.

            “Yeah.” Cameron and I both replied at the same time. He grinned and I did, too. Mrs. Valentine still seemed that she didn’t believe it, but nevertheless, she continued to listen.

            “He’s in my program that I told you about.” I explained.

            “Yeah,” Cameron added.

            “Well, I did recognize your English accent, but I get them all the time so I didn’t think much of it. Anyway, that’s great that you both know each other!” Mrs. Valentine said, “So I’m going to leave you two.” She encouraged.

            “Thanks, Mrs. Valentine.” Cameron turned to Mrs. Valentine as she walked away.

            “Janice, dear.” Mrs. Valentine walked into the kitchen. Cameron turned back to me.

            “Well…this was unexpected.” Cameron chuckled as he sat beside me. I didn’t know what to do, so I just laughed awkwardly. I’m so socially awkward…

            “Listen, about last night-” Cameron began. Wait, he’s going to bring up the whole Beth situation? Ugh, this is so embarrassing.

            “Yeah I know. I wish I could take it back.” I sighed.

            “I just- wait you wish you could take it all back?” He asked with a hint of hurt in his voice and face. Was he mad that I didn’t mean to call his best friend my best friend? That just didn’t really make any sense.

            “Well yeah. ‘Cause then I wouldn’t be here all sad.” I confessed. He stared at me for a bit, with a hint of perplexity in his face.

            “You’re sad?” He finally asked, after what seemed to be a minute of pure awkwardness.

            “Duh, and it doesn’t help that nothing has gotten better.” I admitted. Might as well.

            “How do you know?” He asked, looking into my eyes.

            As I stared into the vivid blue eyes, I began to wonder why he cared so much, but I answered anyway.

            “Because I’ve been ignored.” I glumly said.

            “You’re not being ignored right now.” He said.

            “Yeah but I was.” I put my head on my palm as I rested it on the high table.

            “I didn’t mean to, I actually was hoping to maybe run into you so I could talk about it.” Cameron said.

            “How have you been ignoring me?” I questioned. What is this kid going on about?

            “I haven’t been ignoring you. I want to talk to you about it.” He told me. I just made a face.

            “Talk to me about what?” I asked.

            “About last night.” Cameron said, looking at me like it was the most obvious answer in the world.