Chapter Twenty-Six: The Truth

Update time! :D

            I guess neither of us knew what to say. What can you say when there’s so much unsaid to begin with?

            “Let’s go inside. You’re probably freezing.” Jonah said as he opened the creaky door and held it open for me. I nodded and walked quickly to slide in. Soon after, he walked in and closed the door behind us. That’s when I realized I couldn’t leave now. I was in here and he was, too. Everything that we’d held in was coming out tonight.

            “Please, take a seat.” He offered and sat down on the far edge of the long sofa. I nodded and sat down on the other end. Looking at the situation, you’d think it’d be immensely awkward. And you’d be right. It was.

            “So…” I looked over at him and saw that he had been watching me, “why am I here, Jonah? You had made it evidently clear that you wanted nothing to do with me.”

            “Right. Wait what?” Jonah leaned closer and had the most perplexed face I’d seen all day, “What do you mean that I had made it clear I wanted nothing to do with you? If anyone should be saying that it should be me, Miss I’m-Going-To-Date-Your-Friend right after a night that I thought meant something to you like it had meant something to me.”

            “Excuse you. I didn’t do that! And I distinctly remember you not acting like it meant something to you!” I gasped. I couldn’t believe Jonah had the audacity to play stupid after everything that had happened!

            “You’re crazy! Where did you get that idea? And how does that even excuse you from what you did?” Jonah shot back, angry now.

            “I didn’t do anything! I can recall every last detail!” I yelled.

            “Then please, feel free to thrust this new information onto me because I do not know where all this madness is coming from!”

            I didn’t say anything at first. I could shout it from the top of my lungs forever and ever about why I was so furious that he even had the guts to dare ask me about that night, saying that it was my fault as to why we were over. But I spoke. And maybe I should’ve kept my mouth shut, because if I had then the rest wouldn’t have happened and that’d be it.

            “You used me. I came back from the bathroom to find you there, kissing that waitress. I was sure as hell not going to wait for you so I left. I left and I never looked back. If you’re going to try and blame what happened on me, you’re wrong and mistaken.” I said, now quieter than before. Jonah was watching me.

            “You didn’t talk to the waitress…” Jonah said, more to himself than to me. He looked down, as if realizing something terrible.

            “No. Why?” I was thrown off by the question.

            “Rose, you have to believe me when I tell you this.” Jonah said suddenly, looking up at me and lifting my chin with both hands.

            “What is it?” I asked, confused by his sudden charisma.

            “When you left to go to the bathroom, something happened. I thought you had returned. I thought it was you that had sat in the booth next to me. When I murmured your name, she just nodded before kissing me. In my drunken state, I completely thought it was you. After we were done, she left me there, half asleep. When I woke back up, probably ten minutes later, you were nowhere to be seen. When I asked Britney where you were, she said that when she went out front to drop off some garbage, you were talking on the phone to someone. When I went out there, you were nowhere to be seen. I thought you had left me. Not the other way around.” Jonah explained, slowly letting go of my chin.