6. Fire

---Ashton---

The campsite duties were assigned in groups of five, so it worked out perfectly. My mates and I, and Kelly, are in charge of making sure the site is cleaned at night. After dinner, we decided to have our own fire at our pit, away from the group. I need to talk to Michael about Kelly, so he and I go to collect the wood. I know he's been trying to make a move on her, but she keeps discreetly shutting him down, and as hard as I try, I really can't fight these feelings I seem to have for her anymore.

"Hey Mikey, can I talk to you a sec?" I ask him finally.
"Of course mate, what's up?"
"Well, its uh, it's about Kelly." Shit I don't know how to do this. We've never had this problem before, two of us liking the same girl. "Look, I know that you like her and all, but I do too. I just don't know how to handle this, ya know? We've never had this problem before. But you and Luke and Cal mean everything to me."

Michael takes a deep breath and smiles. "I know you like her, Ash. And I hate to admit it, but I think she likes you too. I shouldn't have made a move on her to begin with. To me, it was obvious from the start that you like her, but I just had to try, ya know? I shouldn't have, but I just had to know. But she's not interested in me, she keeps shutting me down. You are the one she likes. You need to just go for it mate!"

I don't even try to hide the smile on my face. "Thanks bro!"

---Kelly---

Michael and Ashton went to get wood for a fire, leaving me with Calum and Luke. Calum and I are okay now, but I still don't know what to say to these two, so I bring my sketchbook out to the fire ring to work on my guitar sketch. I am tuning everything out as I work on the finishing details and enjoying the quiet.

"Woah! Calum, look! Kelly made a kickass drawing of Jack's guitar!" God, he scared me! I was so zoned out that I didn't realize Luke was watching. Calum leans in over my shoulder to look at it too, and I feel myself blushing. I've never shown my sketches to anyone before, and now a bunch of Aussies have seen this one.

"Damn that's good!" Calum is really impressed, which embarrasses me even more.
"What's good?" Michael asks, coming back with an armful of wood.
"Kelly's sketch of Jack's guitar! Have you seen it yet?" Oh my gosh! And now Michael has to come and check it out, too. It's not even that great! When they aren't looking, I sneak away and put my sketchbook back in my tent. I sit down and scold myself. I should never have taken it out of the tent!

---Ashton---

Shit, where'd she go? She snuck off while we were talking about her drawing. A lantern is on in her tent, so I go over and ask if I can come in. She's sitting on top of her sleeping bag with her knees at her chest and she looks upset, but I can't figure out why. I sit down next to her, and wrap my arm around her shoulder. The touch makes my skin ignite and my stomach is doing somersaults.

"You okay?" Somehow I get the words out. I'm not sure how because my body just isn't functioning properly right now.

"Yeah, I'm cool." she says, leaning her head against my chest. "I just, I haven't ever shown anyone my sketches before. It's just embarrassing. That's all." I can't seem to speak right now. I want to, but the words just won't come out, so I try to give her an understanding nod. I'm such a mess!

After sitting in silence for a few minutes, I tell her we should go out to the fire. I don't need my mates starting shit. We stand up and step out of the tent, still in silence. Our hands brush against each other as we go to sit down and I feel a spark of electricity shoot through me. My body is just itching for her touch again. I need to feel her, so I discreetly reach over and take her hand in mine, lacing our fingers together. Her hands are so tiny and warm in mine. Despite the size difference, they fit together so perfectly. When she tightens her grip on my hand and I can't hide the smile it puts on my face.