21. Job

---Kelly---

After I shut my bedroom door, I wasn't sure what to do. I have no idea how long Mark and Ashton will be talking, so I walk down the hall to my dad's office. He looks up when I walk in.

"Hey inchworm, what are you doing here?" he asks me.

"Mark wanted to talk to Ashton. They're in my room now." He nods his head.

"Come here Kelly," he says, spinning his chair to the side so I can sit in his lap. I've always been a Daddy's girl, and he's the only one I could ever rely on through all the crap with Jimmy. As I sit down in my dads lap, he tells me "I hated sending you off like that. I really did. But after the whole thing with Jimmy, you became a different person, and I knew it wasn't the real Kelly. I tried everything I could think of Kelly, you know that. I just wanted my little inchworm back. And honestly, I'm glad I did now. Ashton is good for you. And those other three, they seem like they're better friends than Melanie ever was." I nod my head.

"I saw Mel at Starbucks this morning. She was so pissed off because I didn't go out drinking with her last night. She said I 'ditched' her for Ash and the guys. Has she always been that selfish Dad?" He nods his head.

"Unfortunately yes. She never cared about the trouble you got into, as long as she got what she wanted. It's sad, really. She is such a sweet girl."

I look towards the door at that point, wondering if Mark and Ashton are done talking. Ashton's standing in the doorway shyly, obviously not wanting to interrupt. Dad sees him there too, and smiles at me. "Go enjoy your time with Ashton." he says as I stand up, and walk over to Ash. I take him by the hand back to my room.

When we get into my room, I lay down on my bed, deep in thought. I never thought I would have such ill feelings towards Mel. Ashton climbs into the bed next to me, pulling me into his chest. They say home is where your heart is. In that case, Ashton is my home.

***********************
The next thing I know, sunlight is peeking through my window into my eyes. I don't remember falling asleep, but I must have. I roll over to an empty bed. I get up to grab my phone and there's a note scribbled in the neatest handwriting I've ever seen for a guy.

Kel,
I didn't want to wake you because you were sleeping so peacefully, but I had to get home.
I have band practice in the morning but I'll call you after!

Love you!
Ash xx

I can't help but smile. I swear, that's all I do anymore wherever Ashton's concerned!

After I shower and change my clothes, I head to the kitchen for breakfast. Mom's making pancakes and before I can make my presence known, my phone rings. It's a number I don't know, but I answer it anyway.

"Hello?"
"Yes, is this Kelly Becker?"
"Yes it is.."
"Ah, yes, Miss Becker. My name's Tom. I'm the manager at Hot Topic. I was just reviewing your application and was wanting to see if you can come in for an interview?" Oh my god! Is this really happening?!
"Yes, I would love to. When would you like for me to come in?"
"Would noon today work for you?" I look at the clock on the microwave. It's 7:30am, up early again as usual.
"That'd be perfect. Thank you Tom."
"Great, then I'll see you at noon."

As soon as he hangs up, I squeal. Mom is looking at me with curiosity.
"I have an interview at noon at Hot Topic!!"

"That's great honey! I think that store would be a perfect fit for you!" Right? I thought so too!! She dishes out some pancakes for me and sets them on the table. Before I sit down, I text Ashton about the interview. I'd call him if it wasn't only 7:30 in the morning, but I don't want to wake him up.