8. American Idiot

---Ashton---

We had a great time walking around the lake. We all were laughing and joking, just goofing off and having fun. I tried not to think about Kelly sitting back at camp alone. I need this time for the band, and eventually I got her out of my head. But of course as soon as we got back, she consumed my thoughts again.

It's great to see Calum getting along so well with her. They found something they have in common and it's quite comical to see them going back and forth like this. Even if it is about Twilight. In the past six months, I don't think I've seen Calum smile as much as he has in the past 24 hours. There really is hope for us!

---Kelly---

"So what's the name of this band of yours?" I ask after Calum and I stopped quoting Twilight. Michael spoke up with a proud smile, I'm guessing the name was his idea.

"5 Seconds of Summer!"
"Oh," I say, then turn to Michael. "Cause that's as long as you last?"
Everyone but Michael burst into a fit of laughter. But Michael being Michael couldn't leave it there.
"Care to find out?"
"Naah, that's alright. I'll pass!" When you can't come up with something sarcastic, being blunt always works! Time to change the subject!!! "So what type of music do you guys play, sing, whatever?"

Luke picked up the inference of my question and was the first to squelter that thought immediately. "We are not a boy band. We play pop-punk, both covers and some of our own. Calum plays bass, Mike plays guitar, I'm guitar and vocals, and Ash plays drums." I think about how Ashton was air drumming on the bus to Arctic Monkeys and I can totally see that.
"I'd like to hear you some time!" I tell them honestly. Music is my life. It's been hard not having music, but then a thought occurs to me. I need to check this out before I say anything, though.

We sit around making small talk, getting to know each other a bit more. I tell them about Melanie, some of my other close friends, my pain in the ass brothers, and they tell me about their families, their move from Australia; nothing profound or overly exciting really.

After dinner, I go into the bathroom to change into warmer clothes and I take a close look around. I am beyond excited when I find two outlets in there, one of which is hidden along the floorboard in the back corner. PERFECT!

I take my clothes into my tent and find my phone, turning it on. I put it into airplane mode so it doesn't continuously search for a non-existent signal, then peek out at my four new friends. Without them noticing, I snap a few pictures then close the camera app. They turned out pretty good for being dusk. I join them out at the fire pit as they are just starting a fire. I open my music stored on my phone, putting it on shuffle and turn the volume all the way up. Now that I know I can charge my phone up here, I can finally have music again! I can't even begin to say how happy I am! When the music starts, four sets of eyes light up like the Fourth of July, which ironically, is what's playing! If the right song comes on, maybe I can hear them sing!

---Ashton---

There's something about campfires that always brings people together. This is why i love camping. There's also something about the way the flames make Kelly's skin glow that makes me want to get closer and closer. I'm itching to feel her touch again. When Michael gets up to use the bathroom, I motion for her to join me on the log in his place. I know he won't mind. She got such a big smile on her face that just makes me all giddy inside. It's a smile just for me. I turn and straddle the log so that she can sit between my legs. She quickly joins me, straddling the log herself, and leans back into my chest, into my arms. This night cannot get any more perfect! I rest my chin on the top of her head as we all talk about random things that pop into our heads. Michael came back and just smiled at us as he took the spot Kelly was in earlier.