37. Lauren

---Kelly---

Tom called around 7:00 that night, after Tracy's shift ended. I can start at the new store next week, so I just have to get through four more days with Tracy. I'm not sure how it's going to go, but I'm sure I can make it work. Somehow.

**********************
It's finally Friday and I survived my week. I told Tracy yesterday that I was transferring, just to keep up the appearance of a friendship. I let Ashton know I won't be able to talk to him tonight because I'm going to my parents for dinner and working on college stuff with Dad. I hate not talking to him, but we'll get by.

"Kelly!" Mark comes running up and hugs me. Kenny's death has definitely brought Mark and I closer together, so I try to focus on that positive outcome to get me through.

"Hey Mark! Quit growing! You're about to pass me up!" I joke with him.

I greet both of my parents and my mom already has dinner ready, so we all sit down to eat. This is the first time it's been the four of us at the table. It feels wrong without Kenny. I need to make it a point to start doing this more often.

"So Kelly," Mom starts. "Your dad tells me you're registering for spring semester?"

"Yeah, I'm actually really excited about it! I want to go for Media Production. I was actually helping the guys the other night with arrangement on a song that Ashton's writing and it sounds really good so far!"

Mom frowns and I don't understand why. "What's wrong Mom?"

"Don't you think you're putting too much of your life into this boy? Don't get me wrong, I like Ashton a lot, and he's been wonderful for you. But you can't make your life revolve around him. Do you think he's never going to leave again after this? This is just a start. But you can't make a career choice based on ways to be near him, Kel. You have to do what will make you happy, without Ashton."

My mouth drops. Does she really think I'm making this decision because Ashton's in a band? Does she not know me at all? Has she forgotten that I have music on in the background almost 24/7? Music is my life, and has been for years.

"Mom, whether Ashton's in a band or not doesn't decide this. You know I love music. I'm not musically talented, but doing something like this, oh my gosh! And it's something I could actually be good at. It has nothing to do with 5SOS! They just helped me see I could actually be good at it!"

Mark stops us from yelling by asking, "Can we see it?" Oh my god! That's a great idea! My eyes light up as I text Ashton.

-To my Ash
Can my folks see what you have so far on the song? Mark wants to hear it.
-To my everything
Sure. Log on!

"Okay, we need a laptop!" I announce and Mark runs upstairs for his. I log on to skype and connect with Ashton. They're already set up but before they start, I explain to my parents that Ashton only had the words and melody and I helped them piece it together so far. Ashton tells me they got more written, too. I'm excited!

They start as before with only Luke singing and playing.

"For a while we pretended
That we never had to end it
But we knew we'd have to say goodbye

They all start playing

You were crying at the airport
When they finally closed the plane door
I could barely hold it all inside"

Michael's voice joins in

"Torn in two
And I know I shouldn't tell you
But I just can't stop thinking of you"