Chapter 33

The door opens and a woman and a man walk in, who I assume to be the parents. Behind them is a boy who looks about a year older than me, and a girl who looks my age.

I realize the boy is hunter from youth group, but I dont recognize the girl. Jenna comes around the corner. "Oh Hi Karen!!" Jenna says, hugging the mom, Karen tightly. "Hey Tyler!!" The man says, turns out his name is Spencer. I find out the girls name is Sierra.

We sit around the table outside and play card games while Tyler, Josh and Spencer grill steaks. Jenna ends up winning and the guys finish grilling the steaks.

We finish eating and go inside, packing a basket with things. Jenna grabs a picnic blanket and Tyler hands me a jacket. We grab sparklers and a lighter and head out the door.

We arrive at a park, and people are already gathering around, spreading their blankets out. We spread ours out on a giant patch of grass and sit with the Smith's. Jenna talks to Karen while Hunter and Sierra mess around with each other.

I sit with Josh and we talk about last fourth of July experiences and memories. The sun starts to make the hills its grave and Tyler announces that they should start soon.

I'm in a conversation about dog breeds when a sudden flash of light pops into the air, and I hear a loud bang. The sky explodes with red. I jump at the sound. A few more go off, making me jump.

Tyler hands me some orange squishy ear plugs. It drowns the sound out. I rest my head on Josh's shoulder as we watch the sky explode with blue, white and red.

Forty five minutes later, tons of fireworks shoot up. I see one that is a star, and another that's a flag shape. The finale finishes and everyone stands up, clapping.

I look up to Tyler, who is smiling and clapping. He puts an arm around my shoulder and I side hug him. We gather our things and walk to the car. Josh closes the door behind me and then gets in on his side.

I must have fallen asleep in the car, because I wake up to Tyler laying me down in bed. I mumble something and hear him say "shhh its okay. Go back to sleep. Goodnight. I love you." He pulls the blankets over me and kisses my forehead.