Chapter 37

Its Friday afternoon now. I find myself packing a bag for a youth group overnighter. On Monday school starts so its the last summer thing that I'm doing.

I didn't want to go. Tyler insisted I go. He's trying to get me to socialize more; seeing as my depression has been getting worse again. Seasonal depression, I guess.

I finish packing and get in the car. Tyler and Jenna are going on a date so me and Josh go out to dinner. We were going to go somewhere fancy, but then we decided taco bell is 1000 times better.

We sit in a booth across from each other, eating tacos. Josh is telling me stories of him and Tyler starting out in the music world.

We get back in the car and realize the overnighter doesn't start for another two hours. Josh starts driving somwhere and I put my ear buds in, not paying attention to anything else.

I feel the car turn and look up to see we pulled off the side of the road to a dock. "C'mon" Josh says, getting out of the car. He walks onto the dock and sits down, dangling his feet over the edge.

I follow, sitting down next to him. I look down at the water and slip my flats off, dipping my toes in. The warm water splash down over my feet. I look at the sky, seeing the sun. It hasn't set yet, but it will in an hour or two.

Josh leans back on his hands, looking out over the water. We sit for a few moments, not speaking. "T-Tyler has told me you've been struggling more recently. I-I want you to know, I love you. And I know that sounds cliche but, I mean it. I do. And you can always trust me. J-just hang in there kido. Its gonna get easier." He says, still looking at the water.

I feel my face get hot. Before I can shut my mouth, I begin speaking. "B-but, why me? Why do I have to go through this? Why Josh? Why?"

He thinks for a moment. "I-I don't know yet, Y/N. But please keep fighting. Don't give up. Please." He says.

We eventually end up talking about how he used to help Tyler through panic attacks and Tyler helped him when he was suicidal. He opens up, telling me about things I didn't know. About his past.

It eventually comes time to leave, and he drops me off at the overnighter. I take a deep breath, placing my hand on the cold metal of the door, turning the handle and walking in. I see Willow, who's waiting for me. I invited her to come so I'm not alone

The youth group is pretty small, probably 15 kids. They all seem to be older than me, and they all are nice.

Not gonna lie, they're super weird and hilarious. We're all in a small room, sitting on old, plaid couches, playing a card game called mafia.

After a while, we play sardines until three am and then go on a Walmart trip. I laugh as one of the guys puts on a bikini top over his shirt, and walks around Walmart like that.

---
The next day, I wake up on the cold floor. I must have crashed. Last night was incredibly fun. I made new friends and felt like I fit in somwhere.

I look out the window and see Josh. I grab my stuff and leave. Willow left earlier and she texted me to tell me she had fun.

I open the door and throw my bag in the back. I sit down in the passengers seat. "How'd it go?!" Josh asks, smiling. "It was fun!!" I say, telling him what we did all night.

I get home and shower. I crash on the couch downstairs, sitting next to Josh, who's watching some old movie.

*Tylers POV*

I walk downstairs to the basement to watch something on the larger TV. As I look to my right, I see Y/N asleep with her head on Josh's lap. He's flipping through the channels, stroking her hair softly. She occasionally will mumble something in her sleep but Josh just quietly says "shhh it's okay" and strokes her hair more.

I decide not to wake her up so I walk back up the stairs and turn to the right, going to the end of the hall. I push my door open and see Jenna reading a book on the bed. We talk for twenty minutes before I got to my dresser draw, open it and dig through my shirts before my hand finally feels the cold leather of my journal.

I walk to the back patio and sit in the chair, getting comfortable. I open my journal and write everything I'm feeling, everything that has been on my mind recently. I fill up tons of pages, letting the stomach in my brain throw up onto the page.

*Y/N's POV*

I wake up to find myself curled in a ball with my head rested in Josh's lap. He strokes my hair for a minute or two before I finally become awake enough to talk. "W-what time is it?" I ask, rubbing my eyes. He looks at his phone. "Four thirty eight. Did you sleep well?" he asks, smiling and his eyes crinkle, squinting.

I turn on my back and look up to him. "Hmm kinda" I say, rubbing my eyes again. I sit up and walk upstairs, looking around for Tyler. I walk into Tyler and Jenna's room, to see Jenna reading a book. "Do you know where Tyler is?" I ask. She smiles. " I think he went outside to write. You should go join him!" She says, giving a small smile. I nod and turn, walking to my room.

I grab my journal and black gel pen and walk to the back door, sliding the glass door open. I see Tyler writing. He looks deep in thought. I sit next to him, silently. He writes a few more words and then looks over to me. "Hey! How's it going?" He asks, looking down to see I have my journal in my hand. "Good!" I say. I decide not to tell him about my dream. When I crashed on the couch, I had a dream and Cameron was in it.

I don't want to tell anyone. I don't want them to worry or think I'm crazy. I can't remember all of the dream; but I do remember his ice cold fingertips. The dream was basically a replay of what happened that night. I start writing, and it helps clear my mind.

I write for a while, filling up three pages, while Tyler does the same. All of the sudden, Tyler says something and I jump. "Wanna see something I've been working on?" He asks, looking over to me. "Oh, uh, sure. I'd love t-to!" I say quietly. He hands me his journal and I look at the page it's flipped open to. "It's not finished yet. I'm still working on it." Hes says shyly.

I start reading the first line and my breath is taken away. I continue reading, and the farther I read, the more beautiful the lyrics get. By the time I finish reading it, I'm breathless and in awe of it. "D-do you like it? I mean, its not very g-good or anything." Tyler says, acting like he's embarrassed. I run my fingers over the writing again.

"It's incredible. Gorgeous. Tyler this is amazing!! I love it so much!" I say, smiling and looking over and up to him. "R-really? You think so?I wrote it a few weeks ago when I was in a really dark spot." He says, picking at his nails. "Yes I do think so!! It's amazing!!"

---

I lay my clothes out that night and go to bed. I think about my dream I had earlier, but I forget when I think about what Tyler wrote. It was incredible. Amazing.