Realisation Seeps In

Pune

"Aunty please! Aunty nahi! Aunty please!" I heard Akku scream as she was literally pushed into my room. "Aunty I will not talk to this man! He doesn't even deserve a friend! Aunty pleaseeeee...."and she stopped. I heard the door of the room lock when I was trying to figure out what this drama queen was now up to.

"Kya? Kya drama kar rahi hai?" I asked her getting up from my bed and walking towards the door. She had been getting on my nerves now. "Get out of my room. Mujhe tujhse baat nahi karni." I told her. Whenever she came to me it was always because she wanted to talk about her.

"DRAMA!?"she shouted widening her eyes. "Drama dikh raha hai tujhe ye? Aunty had locked me up in this room with a jerk like you! She said jab tak I don't talk to you she won't let me out. Ghar bhi nahi jaane degi mujhe!"

"What? I don't want to talk to you.. Tu please yaha se ja." I held her arm with one hand and the door knob with the other.. I figured she was serious when the door didn't open. "Maa! Kya hai please open the door!" I shouted but didn't get any response.

"Dekha? She went locking me up with you. Ab toh tu bolega beta.. Jab tak nahi bolega tab tak mujhe aunty nahi jaane degi and tab tak I will eat your brain!"she sarcastically smiled at my face.

"Please, I said I don't want to talk about it. I said I don't want to talk about anything.. Just!" I left her arm and walked by to my bed. I didn't want to talk about anything. I didn't want to listen, I didn't just care anymore.

"Parth please.. Right now even aunty isn't there and Parth you can share anything with me, you know it right? You always have yaar.. Kya ho gaya hai tujhe? You've just changed yourself and its definitely not a good change. Please talk to me Parth.. Ek baar yaar, not for yourself but for me at least? Even I've been worried sick because of you. Look at yourself! Kya tha.. Kya ho gaya hai.. Just ek baar sunle.. Please."she literally begged me to talk to her. I knew she cared for me. She always did, like a sister. She was always happy when I was happy, she cried when I cried, she was my best friend. I could hide my pain from mom but I could never hide anything from Akku. She came and sat next to me and out her hand on my shoulder. I knew I couldn't hold on anymore and all of a sudden I wanted to let it all out.

"I loved her Akku. I still do." I said as a tear left my left eye.

"But you didn't love her enough to let go of your past Parth. You didn't love her enough to let go of the insecure person that you had become. You loved her, I know you did, I know you still do and I know you always will. I know you don't want to forget her, I know you still want to go back to her, to them and you know it too!" She was right. She was right about everything. How could she know me better than I knew myself?

"I was drunk. I didn't mean to say any of it that night. Jo bhi maine usko bola tha uss party mein.. I didn't mean any of it. I know she loved me..."

"Then why did you say all of that? And even if you said it, why didn't you apologize later, huh?"she interrupted me.

"Because.. Because.. I don't know... I.. I don't know." Why didn't I apologize? Why did I hurt her so much? Why didn't I stop and think what I was doing? Why did I leave the house that night when I knew she needed me the most? Why did I walk out on her, on them? Why?

"Because Parth, even though you knew that she could never break your trust and even though you knew it that she loves only and only you, you still thought that she was going to leave you again just like Sukriti did. You were scared of rejection. You were scared to be broken again. You were holding on to that bad past of yours and you were letting it ruin your beautiful present and future!" Even though I knew she loved me I held on to my past. Somewhere deep inside I knew it all along, why I never accepted it I don't know. "And your silence says that you do realize it now.