seven ; platonic sleepovers & goodbye kisses

when josh wakes up, the other side of the bed is empty.

this is usually the case for him on almost every morning, except he remembers falling asleep with mia lying next to him.

in a sleepy daze he pulls his phone out of his pocket and checks the time. it's nine in the morning, and it's thursday so he knows that mia doesn't have a class until noon.

did she ditch him?

this thought makes him feel incredibly terrible right until he hears the sounds of laughter coming from outside him room. it's a familiar laugh, the one that sounds like silver bells and makes him smile.

he gets out of bed and runs his fingers through his red hair before exiting his room. he can smell food cooking.

in the kitchen he finds mia cooking breakfast and tyler sitting at the kitchen counter with an amused smile on his face and a cup of coffee in his hands. josh swells with relief that mia's still there, that she didn't just leave without saying something.

"hey, josh," says tyler, snapping him out of his thoughts.

mia, who has her back to him, glances over her shoulder and smiles warmly. she's still in his too big clothes.

"hey," josh exhales, walking over behind mia to see what she's making. there's a fry pan with scrambled eggs. he raises an eyebrow, " 'thought you didn't like eggs?"

"i don't," says mia. "but you guys do."

that makes him grin a bit, and he's not quite sure why because it's not like it's a big deal but josh finds it cute that she's making them breakfast. "you're so cute," he mumbles under his breath as he laughs. "i'll be right back," he says.

mia waves him off, a similar smile on her lips. "m'kay," she says and then goes back to cooking the eggs.

"jenna texted me asking if you were still here last night, and when i told her she called me screaming," tyler says, shaking his head slowly with amusement.

"i'm pretty sure she's more into mine and josh's not-existent relationship that she is yours," mia laughs, pointing at him with the whisk.

he nods his head with agreement and takes a sip of coffee. "yeah, i know, i don't even wanna know how she's gonna be when you guys start dating."

"oh," mia says, because she's a little caught off guard by tyler's use of the word 'when', as in he thinks it'll be soon. he is josh's best friend, after all, so she feels like out of everyone he would know if josh was planning on asking her out.

josh comes back into the kitchen with this amused, knowing smile on his face. "d'you just bring a toothbrush wherever you go?"

"shut up," mia grins, because she knows exactly what she's talking about. she keeps this travel sized toothbrush in her school bag because she has this thing with being overly-prepared, which isn't really a bad thing. it came in handy when she woke up and remembered that she wasn't in her own apartment.

"can do," josh tells her, shaking his head a bit as he sits down next to tyler at the counter. it's a nice view, watching mia cooking breakfast. he's really gonna miss her.

"where are the plates?" mia asks once the eggs are done. she turns off the burner and starts opening the overheard cabinets.

tyler watches the short girl with an amused smile, "fourth one," he tells her.

she opens the cabinet and reaches up on her tiptoes to grab two plates. "alright," she sighs a bit and sets them down in front of tyler and josh after putting eggs on the plate.