twenty ; mediocre drum lessons

"how d'you do that?" asks mia, her gaze resting on the attractive boy with coffee colored brown eyes sitting a ways across from her.

josh glances up from his drums with an expectant expression. "do what, babe?"

sitting back, mia straightens up a bit from her previous position of sitting with her chin in her palms and her elbows against her knees. "that," she gestures towards his drum kit.

"play drums, you mean?" he clarifies with a raised eyebrow while adjusting the snapback that's resting on his heap of red hair.

she nods.

this makes an amused smile twitch at the corners of josh's lips. "c'mere," he tells her.

mia gets up from the stage riser and walks over to stand next to josh. it's the last show of the tour and they're back in columbus, finishing up with soundcheck.

josh pats his lap, and then grins up at her. "sit."

"no, josh, i-"

"just do it, you loser," he laughs.

so she does, and her eyes gaze over the different drums that form the kit.

josh shifts a bit on the stool and tilts his head up so that he can see the drums over mia by resting his chin on her shoulder. "m'kay," he hums under his breath and wraps his arms over hers, putting his set of stick in each of her hands. "so you can pretty much make a beat out of anything from this," he trails off, moving her hands to tap against two of the larger drums.

"cool," says mia while slowly nodding her head. it's almost funny to her how gentle josh is being when usually he's beating the shit out of his drums. after a few minutes he shows her a rhythm pattern that she manages to get the hang of.

josh is grinning as he leans back a bit to pull his phone out of his pocket. "keep that going, babe," he tells her, tapping the foot pedal steadily. he opens up snapchat and taps on the back camera before holding down the button and recording a video of mia playing his drums.

"what are you-" she glances at him a bit and once she sees the camera she squeals and stops playing to cover her face.

he laughs at her reaction, "oh c'mon, you were doing so good!"

"give me your phone," mia demands with a broad grin on her lips as she turns around in josh's lap.

he puts his hands behind his back. "so not happening."

"joshua william."

"amelia-insert ten middle names."

"i have two, you dork," she laughs, trying to reach behind him for his phone. "and don't call me amelia."

he raises an amused eyebrow at this while avoiding her grabbing hands that try to take his phone. "how come?"

"cause it sounds weird, i dunno," she shrugs. when she realizes that he's not gonna let her delete the video she sighs, defeated. "at least let me watch it."

josh holds his phone carefully and shows her the screen as the short video plays. "i think it's total post material."

"fine, but only because you got a half decent angle of me," she says.

he rolls his eyes, "all of your angles are perfect," he sings under his breath as he puts the video on his snapchat story and then locks his phone. after its in his back pocket he returns his full attention to the brunette on his lap and he begins tapping a random beat on her thighs.

"so, what are you doing tomorrow?" he asks, glancing up at her. because she's on his lap, for once she's not shorter than him. 

mia makes a face. "going to my mom's house."

"is that a bad thing?" he asks, chuckling at the face she made when saying that.

"no, my family's just crazy," mia explains.

josh grins, "well i figured you got that from somewhere."

"shut up," she laughs and smacks his chest. "i'm decently normal."

"mhm, sure," he mused sarcastically just to get a rise out of her. he feels his phone vibrate and sees that it's a text from his mom. "oh, my parents are here."

when josh had told mia that his parents and siblings were coming to see the hometown show, she couldn't help but feel a little nervous. she wanted them to like her because she knew that josh's family are incredibly important to him.

they walk out to the dressing room and find tyler and jenna talking to josh's parents. they turn to look at josh with happy smiles, and then mia sees that josh's two sisters and brother are there also.

she stands off to the side by the doorway as josh grins and hugs his family, his eyes creasing at the corners. he looks so happy.

"oh!" josh says suddenly, and he grabs mia's hand to pull her next to him. "this is mia."

"hi," she smiles shyly while glancing at his family members. they all look so nice.

his mom is the first to say something, and before she even does she pulls the young girl in for a huge with a warm smile on her face. "it's so nice to meet you! josh, she's so pretty!"

josh chuckles, rubbing the back of his neck. "yeah, i know, mom."

she shakes hands with josh's dad, and then josh points at each of his siblings to introduce them. "ashley, abagail, and jordan."

mia tries to not act like she's nervous as she begins talking to josh's siblings, all who are really friendly. she hopes she's not saying anything too stupid, and later when she sees jordan go over to josh and fist bumping him while mouthing 'nice job', she thinks she did alright.