Chapter 43

We walk up to the door, and it's exactly what you'd expect.
A red carpet trailing in, ropes, a bouncer - super accurate.
We start walking towards the club, and when I stop at the end of the line, she keeps walking.
She notices that I stopped, and looks back.
"What are you doing..?" She asks.
"Waiting in line...? That's how it works," I reply.
She shakes her head. "Come with me, and...don't talk." She laughs.
What is she doing?
We go up to the front of the line, and she gives the bouncer a friendly kiss on the cheek. "Hey, Bruce!"
"Wren! My favorite girl!" His face lights up, and he quickly looks at me, then back at her.
"Is this your clone?" He asks, chuckling.
Wren laughs, too. "This is my twin sister, Cath. Cath, Bruce, Bruce, Cath."
"Nice to meet you, Bruce." I smile, and he nods.
"You ladies have fun, alright?" he says, unhooking the rope.
"Thanks Bruce!" Wren and I say in unison.

What in the actual fuck.
Who is this girl standing next to me?
She knows people.
I giggle.

So. Freakin. Cool.

We walk into the place, and it's dark, but colored flashing lights give way to the dance floor. It smells like heavy cologne and sweaty bodies, and gorgeous human beings surround us.
Where have I been?
I open my mouth, and a sound of excitement and joy escapes my lips.
"Let's go dance!" I yell to Wren, grabbing her hands and dragging her to the dance floor.
I dance like I've never danced before.
I feel light; free, alive.
When I dance through about eight songs and can no longer breathe from all the cardio, I decide to go get us some drinks.
"I'll be right back!" I say, and she nods.
I go over to the bar, and sit down, brushing the hair out of my face with my hand.
"What can I get for the beautiful lady tonight?" he asks, sliding me a menu of the drinks.
"Two martinis, please," I say to the bartender.
Without even ID-ing me, he starts making them. "Coming right up," he replies smiling.
I start to think about Levi, and what he would think of me doing this.
If he saw me now, he wouldn't even recognize me.
Why didn't he ever encourage me to go out and have fun?
I start to sulk at the remembrance of our baby when the bartender slides me a martini.
"Here you are. One martini," he says, drinking the other.
I look at him strange, and he sets the drink down.
"What? Was somebody actually coming?" he asks, giving an apologetic smile.
"I'll just bring her one later," I reply, sipping my martini.
"You look sad. It's depressing," he says, sliding the olives off his toothpick from between his teeth. "Feel free to share your feelings with the gorgeous bartender," he says, flattering himself.
"Okay, I'll let you know when I see one," I say, taking another sip of my martini, my back to the bar.
I look out at my happy, vibrant sister.
She's practically glowing.
How could anyone be so happy?
"Ooh," he sucks air in through his teeth, and clenches his chest. "That hurt," he laughs. "But, you know, seriously, I got nothin' better to do. Besides, it looks like you need a stranger to talk to," he says.
I sigh. "I just had a miscarriage," I say, downing my drink.
"Woah," He coughs on his drink, and wipes his mouth. "that's not what I expected."
"Yeah, well."
He looks at me with sympathetic eyes. "Let me give you some advice," he says, "Sometimes, bad things happen. As Dolly Parton says, you can't have a rainbow without the rain."
"Yeah, well, that may be true, but I think all the Botox may be blocking her judgement," I reply, even though I know what he's saying is true.
"You'll get through it. Time'll heal ya. Maybe take a trip with your husband or boyfriend, and do yourself a favor-try to move on. Sticking with the past for too long can cause your life to leave you behind," he says.
"Thanks," I reply, "I'm glad I talked to the gorgeous bartender. Maybe I'll take your advice."