Chapter 23

The wine.

I've consumed alcohol before, and it's never been a problem.

One thing I've never done before is have sex. (I mean before me and Levi...ya know)

It's been a few weeks since me and Levi had sex.

I was on birth control, and we used a you-know-what.

I did switch pills recently.

Oh god.

Could I be?!?

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing... I mean, I'm 21. It's young, but not that young.

I just need to admit it.

Face the fact.

I might be pregnant.

•••

"Hello?" Reagan answers.

I sit in my car in the Walgreens parking lot. I didn't feel like going to school today.

I hesitate to answer.

"Hey Reagan. It's me."

"I know. What's up? Why weren't you in journalism?" She questions.

"I'm not sure how to say this."

I'm not sure whether to take this as a good thing or a bad thing.

"Say what? Just tell me. I promise I won't get mad unless you cheated on Levi, because that would mean that you stooped to my level."

A surge of anxiety rises in my chest.

"I think I might be pregnant."

There's a long pause.

"Wow." She says, surprised.

"Yeah. I don't know how to take this. Is it a good thing or a bad thing?" I ask her advice.

"Well...I would ask him about it as if you weren't prego. I would say,
Hey Levi, what would you say if Reagan got prego at this age and she was like super responsible and has a serious boyfriend and everything? That's what I'd say. It's really up to you. We're two different people, so I really don't know what advice to give you." She says. "hey I gotta go. Call me and tell me how it goes. Good luck."

Click.

I'll ask Levi about it, and then I'll take a pregnancy test.

Okay.

I grab a pregnancy test from the store, and put it in the trunk when I reach the driveway. Levi is still home since he doesn't have any classes today.

I walk through the door.

"Hey."

"Hey. Why you back so soon?" He asks.

"Still have a bad headache." I lie.

"Ah." He replies.

I sit down at a barstool. I'm wearing comfy clothes today. A blue pattern sweatshirt with sweatpants and fuzzy boots.

I get a conversation going about this pregnant girl at our school, and then bring up the Reagan scenario.

"So she's not actually pregnant, but what if Reagan got pregnant at this age? She's responsible and has a boyfriend that really cares for her. Plus she's 21. What would you do if you were her boyfriend?" I ask.

"Well..." He thinks for a moment, running his hands through his hair. "I'd probably be happy about it. Definitely stressed, but happy." He says. "Why?"

"Just wondering." I reply.

That's a relief.

"Hey can you do me a huge fav?"

"Whatever you want."

"Can you run by the store and grab me some pecan ice cream? Ooh and maybe a movie to watch later." I ask.

"Sure thing," he replies.

As soon as his car leaves the driveway, I bolt out to my car and grab the p test. I go to the bathroom, and pull the stick out of the box.

I try my best to pee on it. I fail.

"Shit." I mutter to myself. A bit of pee splashes my hand. I wipe, get up, pull up my pants, and wash my hands.

I wait five minutes, and then check the test.

Wow.