Chapter 30

"Wow. I just can't believe it. She must have had one great act to gain dad's trust."

My father rarely lets anyone into his circle of trust. Wren and I barely managed to squeeze in, and we're his own daughters. So how did he come to trusting this woman so much? God knows.

By accident, my engagement ring reflects light into Wren's eye, and she notices it. She quickly looks up at me and and smiles, ready to speak.

I cover her mouth, and drag her into the hallway.

"What in God's name is that beautiful diamond doing on your finger? Lemme see it!" She snatches my hand.

"Be quiet!" I yell in a whispery tone. "No one, I repeat NO ONE can know about this. Do you understand?"

Her eyes reflect a mixture of seriousness and confusion. "What? Why?"

"Because. I can't add more stress." I hesitate, but I don't want to hold anything back from my own sister. "I have something else to tell you."

Her eyes widen with curiosity and excitement. "What?"

I whisper in her ear. "I'm pregnant."

She jerks away and shakes me around. "No way!!!!" She hugs me super tight, then quickly pulls away. "Sorry, sorry. Don't wanna cause any damage, ya know."

Oh, Wren. Haha.

"I can't have Dad freaking out about another thing. He just...he just can't know. Promise me you'll let me tell him on my own time." I make her promise. I can't take any chances. My dad raised me and my sister - even though we did most of the raising - but he tried his hardest. I don't want him to go all crazy, especially with the holidays coming up.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone about it."

"Promise that I won't tell anything about what?" She makes a large and obvious wink towards me, (somehow using her entire face) and goes back into room 323.

Instead of going back in, I want to do something else. Nurses brush past me as I walk down the narrow hallway that leads to the waiting room. I lean against the wall around the corner, observing everyone in the room. Almost instantly, my eyes find the mystery woman.

She looks almost exactly like my mother.

Sorry this is so short, I just wanted to end it here. Good luck on your finals or tests or anything you need good luck on! I will update both stories soon.
Love you. Xoxo 😘