Chapter 44 - A Change in Plans

"You-you gotta drive Cathyyyyyyy. CathyMcCatherPants," Wren slurred her words as I carried her out to the car. I was holding in a laugh.

"Ok, whatever," I replied, chuckling. I was pretty much sober besides that one martini earlier, and so it was pretty much safe for me to drive. If it wasn't, I would've called a cab. I drove Wren back to her dorm--leaving her in the hands of her new responsible roommate--then drove home by myself. I turned on the radio and listened to some soft acoustic music.

I was tired. The party life really wasn't for me, even if I hadn't lost my baby. I'm more of the type who likes to hang out with her boyfriend all the time, and the occasional friend. It's hard to make friends when you already know everyone. It's like, been there done that, honey. I've already had my in's and out's with all of them, and now there's hardly anyone left to meet. Maybe we should look for houses in a new area. A change of scenery would be pretty nice. It would be good for us to have a fresh start. Forget about the past, start working towards our future. Maybe we could get a van and travel before we decide to settle down and have a kid. (Technically, another kid.)  The world is our oyster, I suppose.

I pulled into the lot and got up to the apartment. When I opened the door, Levi was laying on the couch, asleep. I tip-toed over to him, kneeling down by his head. I gently ran my fingers across his forehead and through his hair. "Sweetie, it's time to go to bed," I said. Saying that made me think of when we're older, and actually have kids. Sending our little piece of genetic perfection off to bed, so they can get their rest to be the vibrant ball of energy that they are. I've sort of come to accept the fact that we lost a child. I will miss her forever, but it's time to move on. I think our plan is that we're going to spend a couple years with just us, and then we'll try to have kids when we're ready. There's no rush.

"Hey, Cather."
"Hey, Levi," I replied. "It's time to go to sleep."
He sat up, and gave me a little hug.
"Let's elope!" I blurted.
He rubbed his eyes, and his hands uncovered a puzzled look.
"I was just thinking that we lost a baby, right? But we have hardly done anything together to live our life before this. We should sell the apartment, send off all our sentimentals to our families, and go on a long-term road trip, after we get married somewhere awesome," I said excitedly. "So what do you think? I know I laid all this on you pretty abruptly, but I just think it's the next logical step after what we've been through," I exhaled.

There's a long pause as he stares at me for a while, and it feels like a lifetime.
Suddenly, he gives me his biggest Levi grin.
"Let's do it."