t w o

"So, Michael, what do you need help with?"

Michael picked up Frankenstein. "Okay, so, basically, I got some money from a job. And I love reading." I nodded. "And so I've got thirty dollars to spend on books." He absentmindedly flipped through the pages of the book. "I've already read this one."

"And what did you think of that one?" I asked, a small smile on my face.

He looked down at the book almost lovingly. "I adored it. It was incredible."

"You've got good taste in music," I mused, looking at his t-shirt.

His eyes met mine with a bit of surprise and amusement. "You're a fan of Green Day?" I nodded, a soft smile on my lips.

"I've been listening to them since I was eleven." I bit at my lip, flushing a bright red. Suddenly, I realized I had been staring and quickly snapped back to reality, asking, "Do you like scary books?"

He nodded, breaking eye contact with me. "Sorta, I like comedy books too though. I don't know, I like all books, I guess." He smiled at the floor, his eyes crinkling again.

"Do you prefer any genre?"

He nodded. "Fantasy."

I grabbed A Song of Ice and Fire from his pile. "This one, definitely. I think you'll love it."

"You liked it?"

I nodded. "Couldn't put it down." As I handed him the book, our hands brushed against one another and I jumped. "D-do you maybe want something similar to that one or something different?"

Michael looked down at the book pensively. "Surprise me."

I grabbed Dracula and stacked it on top of the first book. "This one. I've heard raving reviews about it from my friends. Highly recommended."

"You should read it too," he said with a bit of a smile. I raised an eyebrow in question. "Let's read it together. How about over pizza?"

I shook my head. I couldn't do pizza with him, I'd get sauce all over myself. "What about for drinks--er...I mean non-alcoholic drinks. Like coffee?" I knew that my face was now bright red.

He smiled and nodded. "Sounds absolutely lovely."

"When would you like to meet?" I asked, my face feeling a little less warm.

"Tomorrow at six?" He smiled and I blushed again. Darn.

"Sounds great. How about right next door?"

He nodded. "See you then!" He waved at me and walked over to the register, leaving me a flustered mess on the floor in the middle of a pile of books.