t e n

"Michael?" My smile disappeared. "As in Michael with red hair?"

Ashton smiled. "You guessed it. That Michael. How do you know him?"

"He came here looking for books, and...I guess we just became friends somehow," I said, chuckling awkwardly.

He nodded. "Well, we're having a surprise party for Michael this Sunday. Would you like to join us?"

I smiled. "That would be lovely. Thank you so much for asking."

We walked through the aisles of the store, picking out three books to give to Michael for his birthday. Ashton eventually put his arm around my shoulder and smiled as we walked together. I felt slightly uncomfortable, selfishly wishing it was Michael flirting with me, but I ignored the feeling, forgetting about him quickly.

As we got to the register, Ashton smiled. "How about you ditch work and come to the movies with me now?"

I laughed and shook my head. "I couldn't, honestly."

Ashton shook his head and leaned in, pressing his forehead to mine. "Don't worry, Josie. It's not like you're the only one working here. Just one day couldn't hurt...could it?"

I sighed and thought for a moment. If I didn't go with Ashton, I'd probably end up with my nose in a book in some corner of the store being unhelpful anyway. "Oh, fine." I laughed and ran upstairs to change out of my uniform. I clocked out early and left the store with Ashton, walking to his car. "I feel like such a rebel."

He smirked and leaned in, but at the last second I turned my face, his lips connecting with my cheek.

"Well, let's go!" I said, laughing somewhat awkwardly.