f o u r t e e n

"J-jealous?" He looked at me with wide eyes. "Why would I be jealous?"

I shrugged, my cheeks turning red. "Uh, no reason. Forget I said anything."

Michael just stared at his coffee and tapped his hands on the table anxiously. "Is Ashton planning something?"

"W-what? Planning something? For what?"

Michael looked back up at me. "Planning something...I don't know."

"You know what?" I asked, looking down at the time, "I think video games sounds really nice right now if you're still willing to play.

Michael laughed. "Sure...oh, by the way, it's my birthday."

I smirked. "Meaning what, exactly?"

"Meaning I'm a real old man now, and I can drink in all countries of the world...I think. Definitely USA now."

I laughed, looking down at my shoes.

"Alright, just...just hold on one second Michael," I began, trying to stop him from opening the door until I had texted Ashton and made sure they were ready for him.

"Hold on for what, Josie, you already made me go and get coffee, I'm tired of being out, I just want to—"

"SURPRISE!!"

Michael stumbled back, his hands covering his mouth. He looked around at everyone, then back to me, then back at the crowd. "Did you...you knew? Ash?"

Ashton came up to Michael and, giggling, put a party hat on his head. "Happy birthday, mate."

Michael walked into the room and was met with hugs and shouts of "happy birthday" and whatnot. I trailed behind awkwardly and found the nearest beverage station.

"I don't think you're old enough to drink that," Ashton said, his arms around my waist.

I laughed. "It's a party, dad, calm down."

Ashton coughed awkwardly, letting go of me. "D-dad?"

I looked at him as he tried to cover his bright red cheeks. "S-sorry...didn't mean to bring up weird...subjects..."

Just then, Michael came into the center of the room with a girl's hand in his. She was gorgeous, long blonde hair in loose curls, blue eyes, freckles...she was beautiful. I felt slightly uncomfortable...she could just be a friend though.

I turned to Ashton. "Who is that with Michael?"

Ashton just put his arm around me. "That's his girlfriend, Chelsea. They've been together for about a month."