f i f t y f o u r

"Michael!" A woman with blonde hair engulfed Michael in a big bear hug. "And you must be Josie. It's lovely to meet you dear, your parents are so sweet."

I looked at Michael, confused. "My parents?"

He laughed. "Surprise!"

I turned to see my mom and dad over on the other side of the room. "Hello, Josie!"

"I'm really lost, is something important going on?"

Michael shook his head. "Nope. Nothing important. Not at all."

"Nice," Michael's dad said, smirking at the boy who now had red hair again. "Our son here really has a way with words."

"Thanks, dad," Michael said, sighing. "Mom, is dinner going to be ready? Do you need help with anything?"

His mother shook his head. "No, Meredith helped me. Thank you for asking though. Let's all sit at the table."

I sat down next to Michael and we passed around the food, eating and chatting for a while. When I was completely stuffed, I went to bring my plate into the kitchen, but got stopped by Michael. "No! I'll take it! Allow me."

"You all are acting quite weird." 

"Why can't I act weird?" My mother caught my attention. "My daughter's--"

"Meredith! Can you come and help me in the kitchen?"

She laughed and nodded, walking into the kitchen where Michael was. 

"Alright, I need to see what's going on."  Thankfully, before I could ruin the surprise, Michael, followed by Luke, Calum, Ashton, Joy, and a few other friends, and finally my mother, holding a cake, walked through the door.

"Happy birthday, Josie!"

I laughed. "Oh my gosh! Thank you all so much! Who organized this?"

Michael raised his hand. "I did. Now make a wish!"

I smirked and blew out the candle.