s i x

It had been a day, and three showers later, and now my hair was a light blue color, less royal blue.

I pulled out my phone and texted Michael. 'Hey, I'm really sorry but I can't make coffee tonight, I've got to work late.'

No response.

I walked over to the bookstore, ignoring the stares from some of my coworkers, and grabbed Dracula, hiding myself in a corner and reading.

After many, many pages, I closed the book, finished.

I went to the employee locker room and braided my hair, staring at the color. I honestly had grown to like it a bit, but I was still apprehensive about Michael seeing my hair like that.

As I walked back out into the store, my eyes met Michael's and I turned bright red.

"Hey, Josie!" He ran over to me and handed me a cup of coffee. "You said you wouldn't be able to make coffee tonight, but I decided to bring you some."

I smiled, pushing a piece of hair behind my ear. "Thank you," I choked out, my stomach doing flips.

"Your hair looks nice," he said, his eyes looking me over.

I sighed. "T-thank you, my roommate had hairdye in the shower, and I honestly thought it was conditioner."

Michael laughed, thinking for a moment. "Is that why you cancelled on me?"

I laughed awkwardly. "How'd you know?"

"Oh, just the fact that you turned bright red the moment you heard me."

I sighed and nodded. "It looks stupid, doesn't it?"

Michael shook his head. "No, you look cute."

I laughed. "Maybe I will take you up on tonight, then."

Michael smiled. "How about the park?"