f i f t y t w o

The next few weeks were filled with me sucking up to Michael, begging him to forgive me. I brought him candy and pizza on a daily basis, and even cleaned up around the house.

We were sitting together on his bed, watching a movie, when I turned to him.

"Mikey?"

"Yes, Josie?"

"Why didn't you break up with me that night?"

Michael laughed. "To be honest, I don't know. You seriously lost it. I was kinda worried you went insane."

"In a way, I did." I sat up, crossing my legs. "I mean, I didn't mean to, you know, but at the same time, I was just cheated on, whether it was intentional or not."

Michael nodded. "I was too, just for the record. If anything, I'm most upset that you thought I'd do something like that."

"I'm sorry, Michael. It's just that I care so much about you, and it would kill me inside if I knew something was happening like that between us."

"I wouldn't throw away something like this for a one-night stand." He smirked. "Well, maybe, if it was with Emma Stone--"

"Michael Gordon Clifford!" I smacked his chest lightly, giggling.

"If this ever happens again, and I'm hoping it doesn't, just talk to me, please."

I nodded. "And keep me away from forks."

He laughed and kissed me. "Now say it."

"Say what?"

"Tell me that I'm super punk-rock."

I laughed. "You're like a little baby kitten, Michael--"

"Tell me I'm punk rock now or I'll shave your head." He glared at me but then burst into a fit of giggles. I took this opportunity to tickle him. He squirmed around, his face turning bright red as he laughed, unable to stop. "I'm--" he began, "so--" he let out an extremely high-pitched giggle, "punkrockI'msocool!" I cracked up at this, falling backwards onto the bed. I could hear Michael catching his breath until he finally sat up and looked at me. "I win."