f i v e

I sat in my room, my phone in my hands. If I texted him, then would he respond? Was it actually him, or was it just a prank Joy was playing on me? But how would she have known his name?

I groaned and typed in a simple 'Hey,' watching it send.

He wouldn't respond. I knew he wouldn't...

...until my phone made a dinging sound and startled me. 'Is this Josie?'

I felt my cheeks turning red. 'Yes, it's me :)'

'Coffee tomorrow?'

A smile broke out on my face as I typed back, 'Sounds great.'

"Joy, can you order pizza for tomorrow? I'll be home somewhat late."

I heard her oohing and aahing even from the other room and shook my head, laughing. I was so happy I'd get to see Michael again, and so soon. I quickly went into the shower and began washing myself.

"Josie, are you in the shower?"

"Yeah!" I shouted back, "I borrowed some of your conditioner!" I responded, as it was already in my hair.

I heard banging on the bathroom door but ignored her, instead singing along to the music that was playing.

"Josie! Josie! Open the door! Don't use the conditioner!"

I laughed. "It's fine, Joy, I'll just stop by the store later to get you some more!"

"No!" Joy yelled, banging on the door, "Wash it out before it stains!"

"Stains?" I began panicking. "Joy, this isn't..." I grabbed my hair and looked at the ends, which were no longer the light brown shade I adored. "Joy!"

"No—I'm sorry!! I was going to dye it tonight! Have you rinsed it out?"

I cried out in anger. "Joy!! It's been in my hair for at least five minutes!"

I watched the blue water go down the rain and began sobbing. "Josie? Are you still there?"

I stepped out of the shower and put on a towel, opening the door. "Where on earth would I be if I wasn't in the bathroom?"

Joy looked at me and smiled. "You look really cool."

"Cool? Look at me! I'm...a blueberry!"

Joy chuckled, looking at my hair with admiration. "A cool blueberry...a coolberry."

I sighed. "I hate you."