f i f t e e n

"A whole month?" I stared at Michael as he came over to us. "An entire month...?"

"Hey guys, this is Chelsea. Chelsea, this is Josie, that friend from the bookstore I've been talking to you about." Michael smiled, his bright green eyes standing out under his blue hair.

Chelsea smiled almost condescendingly at us. "Ah, right. I didn't expect her to be so...short. Why is your hair the same color as Mikey's? Are you trying to copy him?"

I frowned. "Nice to meet you as well..."

Chelsea turned to Michael, kissing his cheek. "She's copying you, isn't she, Mikey-poo?"

I stared at her in disbelief as she threw herself all over him, without any dignity it seemed. "Actually," he said, clearing his throat, "I dyed my hair after Josie."

The blonde frowned and pushed her hair to one side, revealing a mark on her neck. "Mikey, it won't go away!"

Michael turned a deep shade of red and quickly turned to me and Ash. "Uh, about that—"

"No need to explain, mate," Ashton said, "it's only a matter of time before Josie here has a few of them on her neck."

My face went bright red from the embarrassment and I decided to go get a drink. "Uh, Ash, would you like to come get something to drink with me?"

Ashton nodded and quickly pulled me aside. "You alright? Sorry if I embarrassed you a bit back there."

I laughed awkwardly, pouring myself a glass of whatever I could find. "It's fine, Ash. Don't worry about it."

We then walked hand in hand back over to the blonde and blue couple, beginning a slightly awkward conversation.

"So you and Ashton, huh? I never saw that coming! I mean, he's so tall and attractive, and well, you look like an awkward smurf."

I felt my heart drop. "Stop it, Chelsea, that's a bit too far."

Chelsea just sighed. "It's clear she likes you, anyway."

Ashton and Michael both looked at me with wide eyes. "That's not true!" I cried, shooting daggers at Chelsea with my eyes. "She's lying."

Ashton put an arm around my shoulder. "Stop lying about my girlfriend."

I froze, looking up at Ashton. "Girlfriend?" I mouthed.

Ashton smiled down at me. "Yeah, girlfriend."

I smiled up at him. "Yeah, his girlfriend." I liked the way it felt to say that. Girlfriend. Ashton's girlfriend, nonetheless.

As we looked back to Chelsea and Michael, they were in the middle of the crowd, lips locked. Her hand was tangled in his hair, and he seemed to be enjoying it.

Ashton stroked my hair softly. "It's fine, she just feels the need to one-up you for some reason."

I sighed and nodded, turning to face Ash. "Hey," I said, smiling, "wanna blow this popsicle stand?"