e i g h t e e n

Another boring day at the bookstore. I'd gotten quite a few compliments on my hair, but I was feeling really uncertain about it. Plus, I wouldn't be able to change it again for a while, or else my hair would most likely suffer irreparable damage. I grabbed a couple comic books and went to my corner of the store, sighing loudly.

"I found you!"

Michael was standing above me, two cups of coffee in his hand. "I want to personally apologize for Chelsea's behaviour. She was absolutely rotten, and I have no idea why." He sat down next to me. "I mean, it's obvious you did nothing wrong, but I'm technically 'banned' from seeing you again." He laughed. "Like I'm gonna listen to her."

I smiled at him, thankful for his company.

"Oh, by the way, nice hair. You look hot...get it? Cuz your hair's red?" He laughed hysterically at his own joke, nearly spilling his coffee everywhere.

"Funny, Mikey-poo."

He cringed. "Please, please don't call me that. I hate that nickname."
 "Then tell Chelsea to stop it, Michael. You don't have to be under her rule, for God's sake! Just tell the—just tell her to stop."

Michael looked at me with a strange expression. "Was it true?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Was what true?"

"Do you, you know, like me? That way?"

I sighed, leaning my head back against the wall and closing my eyes. "I...I don't know."

Before I knew it, Michael's lips were on mine. He was kissing me, and I wasn't stopping him.