t h i r t y s e v e n

"I'm really sorry about Luke," Michael said, a toothbrush in between his teeth.

"Don't be, I didn't realise I hadn't locked the door when we got here. At least he went home," I said, laughing.

Michael smiled at me, spitting the toothpaste into the sink. "Yeah. I'm not really in the mood to be around people."

I furrowed my brows and stared up at him.

"Of course I don't mean you, Josie. I would have kicked you out ages ago if I didn't want to spend time with you."

"Thank you..?"

Michael laughed and nodded. "You done in here?"

We went back into his bedroom, and I climbed under his covers immediately. Michael looked at me as he pulled off his shirt. "Whoa--wait, Mikey. What are you doing?"

"I sleep without a shirt, Josie. Calm down. Would you rather have me sleep on the couch? I can--"

"No. Of course not. Don't be silly."

He climbed in next to me and pulled me close, staring into my eyes. "I'm sorry that all of this shit is going down between Ashton, Chelsea, and us. It'll all get better."

I nodded, reaching a hand up to touch his hair. "I believe you."

We lay there in silence for a while, eyes closed. Just as I was about to fall asleep, Michael began stroking my hair. "Are you awake, Josie?" I didn't respond. "I think I'm falling for you--no, I know I am."