Chapter 18: Alone Again

Haku

I tried sensing Mayuki's chakra, but I kept coming up blank. Where could she have gone? I picked up the little fox and jumped up into a large tree. I did a few hand signs and made a few clones.

"Find her," was all I said then too went to pursue her. After a few hours of searching, I sat at the base of a tree exhausted. My clones had come back to me with nothing to report. I sighed. Zabuza was so going to kill me. I held my chest; I guess this is why my heart feels so heavy. I had failed Zabuza. I had lost something to benefit and help him. However, somehow I had a nagging feeling that, that wasn't the case.

It was getting darker, and I bet Zabuza would be probably worried as to my whereabouts. I walked home almost lifeless. No Mayuki to annoy me with her weird antics or to teach new skills to or even amaze with my Kekke Genkai. I hadn't realized until now how a girl we were going to kill on the spot had wiggled her way into our lives.

"Yip!"

I casted my brown orbs to the little fox that was in my arms.

"Don't worry," I said to the little fox, "We'll find her."

When I got home, I met a quite unpleasant surprise.

"Ah, well isn't it your little tool."

I just casted a side glance at Gato and his men.

"Haku," said Zabuza. "I was wondering how long you were going to be out for."

"Has Mayuki-chan come home?" I asked completely ignoring Zabuza's statement. I rested the little fox down on the floor and watched as he scurries into a corner.

"No, I thought the girl was with you training," he said.

Suddenly a burst of laughter erupted from Gato, and then I knew he had something to do with Mayuki's disappearance. I quickly appeared in front of him with a senbon, ready to kill him. Suddenly, Zabuza was in the back of me, holding onto the collar of my kimono.

"If you hurt her, I will kill you," I seethed out. The little fox yipped in anger as well.

"Haku, calm down," said Zabuza.

I sent one more chilling glare and stood in the corner.

"So you have my other tool," said Zabuza. "I hope you know that she's what you call stubborn, and will not cooperate with you."

"Yes, I have that little Kitsune of yours. I did some research and found just what I was looking for. I don't know how she I alive, but she is in fact a Kitsune," said Gato.

"Well I don't care what she is, she's still mine," said Zabuza with a smirk under his mask.

"Well if you want her back, I suggest you not lose against that copy cat ninja anymore," said Gato. Then he made the worst mistake of his life. He went to touch Zabuza. In a flash, I was in the front of him, holding his arm. I began to squeeze as he began to scream for mercy.

"And I suggest that you bring back Mayuki if you want your life," I threatened. "And don't lay your filthy hands on Zabuza."

********************************

Zabuza

I may have a feeling that Haku isn't just angry cause he lost something of use to me. Over the two and a half weeks Mayuki spent with us, they have already developed a bond.

The way he threatened Gato was cold and harsh. This was unlike him.

I decided to step in and stop him. "That's enough Haku."