Chapter 3 Vailan

Chapter 3

Vailan

Third Person POV

After Sarah and her family had left The Goblin King sank fully into his throne. He ached all over from where he should have stayed in bed resting but there were more important things at hand. What he didn't tell Sarah was that, Vailan, King of one of the neighbouring kingdoms, had been stirring trouble. He knew Jareth was weak, But, He didn't know how weak. King Vailan had always wanted the land of the labyrinth to himself. Jareth being ill would give him the perfect opportunity to take over. Somehow, Jareth had been holding himself up in the councils with Vailan, making himself look well enough to rule when, the truth was, he wasn't. He knew he was seriously not well, and caused more injury to himself by trying to be threatening towards Sarah's step-mother. What about her father. How could he just let her treat Sarah that way. She was going to hit her. She would have hit her if I hadn't been strong enough to stop her, and from the amount of force she put into that hand... I don't think she wanted Sarah to get back up.

The hair on the back of Jareth's neck stood on end as he felt another presence in the room. He looked up to see a dark shadowlike hooded cape. He had come to know this figure as he never showed his face, this had become his constant forum. Even Jareth, having known him since a child, didn't know what he truly looked like.

Maybe he's just ugly, Jareth mused.

"Hello Vailan, what brings you here on this fine evening?" Jareth put on false health as a shield to the boreing abyss where vailan's face should have been.

"Good evening Jareth. How is your health?" Vailan's voice was hollow and it echoed as if he were not in the room. Just a faded projection.

Jareth stood. He's avoiding conversation. Jareth thought. He's probably trying to figure out just how sick I am to decide whether or not to attack. Jareth and Vailan start to walk in circles around the throne room, both staying opposite each other.

"So." Jareth broke the silence "How can I help you Vailan?"

"No Jareth. The question, is how can I help you."

"I am afraid I do not understand" Jareth was cool and contained on the outside, but on the inside he was screaming in pain from the walking and dizziness.

"I am sure you do. I know your very sick Jareth and, as your closest neighbour, I want to help. Let me look after your kingdom for a while till you recover."

Damn him. Jareth thought. That rat has me at a standstill. If I refuse, he will take it rudely and as an act of war. Then he had an idea.

"I am afraid you are to late Vailan."

Vailan picked his would be head up to look at Jareth's face.

"What do you mean by that Jareth?"

"Well. A close friend of mine has come to visit and, though I am not sick, she will rule by my side, as my queen." Jareth knew that by doing this he was pushing Sarah under the rhetorical goblin wagon, but it was all he could do to buy himself more time. Of course he didn't expect Sarah to marry him. He just needed Vailan to think that.

Though, come to think of it. It may have only been a few hours for Sarah since she had saved Toby and then, somehow, come back. But it was that time of the year down in the underground where time was even faster than normal. For him... it had been six months. And all he could think about in that time was Sarah. How beautiful, brave and smart she was. Not to mention stubborn. She would be a perfect queen. Jareth had, some time ago, come to terms with the fact that he had feelings for Sarah, but pushed them aside earlier due to how she obviously did not feel the same way. She may never come to love him. But at the same time...

Jareth was suddenly shocked out of his thoughts with a sharp pain as he hit the floor. When he realised what had happened he feared it was too late. Vailan was above him... knife raised.

Hi guys. Thank you for reading this book. I know my chapters aren't very long but, believe it or not, they are taking hours to write. If you have made it this far thank you so much for reading. I will be writing more (obviously) just maybe not uploading them till later. Comments are highly appreciated weather there good or bad.

P.P.S – Vailan (pronounced vail-an incase you were wondering) Is a character that I have created to fill this shadowy figure.

Once again thanks for reading guys.

Labyrinth