Chapter 41 Will you tell me about her?

Chapter 41

Will you tell me about her?

Warning, This chapter contains disturbing scenes.

You have been warned

Sarah's POV

I woke up before Jareth did. He looks so peaceful when he's sleeping. The worry lines around his eyes and on his forehead were gone, and he had the widest smile on his face. He looked so happy.

Entangled in his body, wrapped around him like a woolly coat, I rest my head back against his shoulder.

Jareth woke up soon after, but thought I was still asleep, so I played along. He used his arm wrapped around my back and gently ran rings around the small of my back.

I smiled and buried my head in his shoulder.

"Good afternoon love." He said stroking my hair.

"Good morning." I replied, causing him to laugh lightly. It was a running joke of ours that, no matter what time I woke up, as far as I was concerned, it was morning.

"Sarah?" he asked distant and distracted.

"Yes?" I asked, confused.

"Will you tell me... about her? Your real mother?"

I smiled and nodded. I had long since come to terms with the fact that my mother is never coming back.

"I was 5 when my mother left. Her name was Deanna. She was an amazing woman, an actress. She was beautiful. She was thought to be the most beautiful and talented woman in show business. I used to love spending time with her. Dad says she would spend every minute she wasn't at work with me."

I was lost in the memories of my mother when Jareth spoke up.

"What happened."

"Apparently we weren't the only ones who thought she was the best. This creep used to follow my mother around all the time. He would send her letters, call the house, show up at the door looking for her. He started to scare us, he just wouldn't leave her alone. He broke into the house a few times and stole some of my mother's things. We even came home one day and found he had been laying in my mother and fathers bed.

One day, my mother wasn't home and he showed up at the house again. He forced his way through the door and knocked my father out. My father told me that when my mother came home, she had walked in to see rose petals laid on the floor. Apparently she followed them up to the bedroom where the man had tricked her into thinking he was my father by darkening the lights. She realised who he was and resisted, and he tried to kill her." I trailed off. I don't know how, but I remembered some of this. I may have only been four, but I remembered every detail of him knocking my father out, right down to the time on the clock behind him.

"Did he kill her?"

I laughed slightly. "No. She knocked him out with the lamp on the bedside table and ran downstairs to find me. He had locked me in the fridge, somehow I hadn't froze to death. My mother rang the police, but when they got there, he was gone.

My mother, father and me had to go into protective custardy, apart. My mother was moved away and was told she could never contact us to keep us safe. Me and my father were moved to Chicago with new names, my father had a new job, I had a new school, but I didn't have a mother. That's when Karen came along.

I never saw that man again, but he's still out there."

"What was your name? Before?"

I smiled. I liked that about Jareth. I can tell him of the darkest things that happened to me, and he asked the simple questions that always make me smile. He always wanted to know more about me.

"My name was Sarah Mary Campbell. My father fought to keep Sarah, because it was his mother's name. He tried to keep Mary too because my mother picked it out, but they wouldn't let him., they called me Sarah Louise Williams. He would still use it though. When I was in trouble and no one, including Karen, was around to hear him. My father's name was Samuel Campbell. He changed his name to Robert because it was his father's name."

He nodded, smiling slightly. "Which do you prefer?"

"I don't know. I often missed Campbell, but I also liked Williams because it sounded nicer. I used to spend hours thinking about it, which I would rather go by. After a few migraines I decided it was easier for me to think of myself as not having a last name. But then I felt like I was missing something.

Eventually I came to terms with the fact I would never see my mother again and just accepted Williams as I was given."

He smiled slightly, laughing to himself.

"What?"

"You always think too much into things. 'What's in a name, that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.'"

"Are you quoting Shakespeare?"

"Yes, now he was an amazing man... And he could really hold his alcohol. It's a good job I can't time travel, If so I would still owe him a chicken." He said smiling, his mind somewhere else, as if remembering the chicken.

"I never know when to take you seriously." I laughed, standing and turning to help him up, but he had already stood. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me into him.

"It's true. What he meant, Sarah. Was that, A name is just a name. It doesn't matter what or who that name links you too, or what it means. What truly matters is what you make that name stand for. In the underground, when people say the name Sarah Williams, they don't think of your abusive step-mother or your kind hearted father. They think of the woman who defeated the Labyrinth, The woman who defeated me and then came back. The woman who I fell in love with."

With that last bit, he leant in and kissed me passionately.

Hi Guys, Sorry I didn't upload yesterday, I've been having a lot of trouble With archive of our own and I've been trying to fix that. I am also late today because of some other reasons that aren't that serious are they Jarethismyking and LoopyLou hahaha.

P.P.S, Jarethismyking I finally spelt a lot right!

LoopyLou you should get the Deanna, Samuel and Mary Campbell joke!

Comments are always welcomed

Thanks for reading

Labyrinth