Chapter 20 The Stars Of The Labyrinth

Chapter 20

The Stars Of The Labyrinth

Sarah's POV

I was lying in bed looking up at my roof. I had gotten sick of the earth's constellations, so I had asked The Castle to put up Labyrinth ones. It felt a little weird talking to a building but, Jareth said, if I put my hand on one of the walls and talk to it, it will talk back to me in my head, which it did. It had been telling me about its history and the history of the Labyrinth, apparently if I did the same thing with a wall in the Labyrinth it would answer me too. But I had to keep contact with the wall.

I had sat, leant against the my bedroom wall for hours earlier just chatting with The Castle. It told me that I was the only other person, aside from Jareth, to talk to it. And that, because he was king, Jareth could talk to The Castle and Labyrinth when he was in other kingdoms. Apparently it came in handy if they were under attack.

I had left The Castle wall a few hours ago to sleep because it sleeps at night too, which I thought was a little strange. But, I suppose, if it talks, it sleeps too.

So now I was laid in bed, bored.

I couldn't sleep, no matter how hard I tried. I had lost count of the jumping sheep somewhere around 350, and the stars weren't helping, which surprised me.

I left The Castle to sleep so, I had no one to talk to, or did I?

Jareth? I asked in my head, hoping he was awake.

Sarah? He replied. What are you still doing awake?

I can't sleep.

Oh... and now the castle is asleep, you have no one to talk to.

How did you know?

Because I was thinking the same thing. I didn't want to call out to you in case you were asleep, and I believe you thought the same thing about me.

Yeah. Where are you?

Sat in the Labyrinth.

Want some company?

Sure. Wrap a cardigan around yourself then give me a shout and I'll teleport you out here.

I did as he said. I wrapped a light cardigan around me, it's warm here in the day so I shouldn't need anything thicker.

Ok Jareth.

I closed my eyes and when I opened them, I was no longer in the castle, I was stood behind Jareth, who was sitting on some steps that looked out over the labyrinth. Judging by the distance between us and the castle, and us and the edge of the labyrinth we were somewhere in the middle, but I hadn't seen this place when I had run the labyrinth.

"No, you won't have. This place, like the gardens, is hidden. The only way in or out is with The Castle's magic."

I sat beside him on the steps, and lent my head on his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around my waist.

I felt his nose rub the top of my head and I turned to look up at him. I stared deep into his mismatched eyes. I really and going to have to ask him about that someday.

I reached up and kissed him, and he kissed me back.

After we pulled away, we sat looking out over the Labyrinth.

Jareth stood, and I stood following him. He reached into the inside pocket in the long coat he was wearing and pulled out a crystal. He rolled it from his hand and on to the floor. A blanket appeared where the crystal had dropped and he sat on it, tapping beside him for me to follow. I sat down and he pulled me down to lay with him.