35.

Your Life and Mine- Just Surrender (awesome song! Listen to it if you haven't already!)

I was extremely excited to being going out in the field and actually do some real journalist stuff. I loved hearing people's stories and learning the history of people and places and just learning something new in general.  It was exhilarating. 

It took Carrie and I ten minutes to get to the small local shops. It was a cute little street, both sides lined with shops and little cafes. There was even a small little park in between some shops, complete with a gazebo. The whole street looks rustic and looks like it held a lot of history. I was very thrilled I got to do this piece.

Carrie explains to me that we will work on some interviews and then wait for the photographer to show up, which would be in a couple of hours.  We meet a number of shop owners and after introductions we got started on the interview.  Since there was going to be about five shops effected by this box-box store, we decided to do a group interview since everyone felt the same towards the whole idea of losing part of this small historic street.

The interview went really well. I loved seeing how passionate everyone was about their shops. One couple grew up working in their shop, another's store has been passed down for generations. It would be terribly sad to see them lose something they have held on to and worked so hard for.  We all say our goodbyes and I couldn't thank them enough for doing the interview. When everyone went off into their own conversations, Carrie and I sat at the gazebo and while she worked on trying to get ahold of the CEO of this big-box store, I pulled out my laptop and started typing  up an outline for my article.

I don't know how long we sat there but Carrie broke me out of my daze. I had been glancing so long at my computer screen and my eyes felt like they were burning. 

"Finally. There's our photographer," she glances down at her watch annoyed. I guess they were running late. I turn my head and glance behind me only to whip right back around.

I cover my face with my hands, "you have got to be joking!" I muttered. 

"Sorry I'm late, I got held up at my other shoot... Abby?" I glance up at him. Harry. Standing there in his ridiculously tight jeans and a white t-shirt and a blue beanie on his head, hiding his curls. His eyes were wide, just as shocked as I was seeing him here.

"Harry," I say dryly. So much for avoiding him.  Why does he keep popping up like this?

"I didn't know you worked for the Guardian," he says, taking out his camera and getting it ready.

"Yeah, getting this job was the reason I moved here." And the hopes of getting back together with you but that was shot down when I found out you changed your phone number.

"I see. How come..."

"Let's just get to work, shall we?" I stand up, shutting my laptop. Carrie gives us a weird look but  goes back to work without saying anything. She was an intern and was really nice. A couple years younger than me. I guess she was sort of like my assistant.

"Of course. After you." Harry waved his arm out, letting me step around him.

I talked about work and only work, and found a way to bring the topic about work back up when Harry tried talking about us. He was relentless. I told him what I wanted for a photo, how I wanted to show unity and pride and how strong these people were willing to fight. He said he had an idea and went off to talk with the shop owners. I stood back and watched him work.  And by watched him work, I meant watched him.

I had forgotten how tall and almost lanky he was. Or how his skin glowed under the sun. I loved seeing him so focused, taking a few shots and then directing everyone where to stand for the next shot. Watching him move and interact with these people had me mesmerized.  I got lost in him and it was very, very bad.