Chapter 33

- Dad I have a surprise for you !
I yelled as I entered the house.
- What is it ?
He asked coming from the kitchen.
- Here you are.
I said and gave him the tickets.
- You have tickets for the Champions League finals ?
He asked not able to believe it.
- Yes.
I smiled and looked at him. He was shocked.
- But... how ?
He asked. Then he realized.
- Oh ...
He said.
- He must loves you... these tickets cost a fortune... let alone the airplane tickets, maybe the hotel....
He said still looking at the tickets.
Airplane tickets ? Hotel ? What was he talking about ? Dad saw the look on my face and realized I had no idea about what he was saying.
- Uhm Jane the final doesn't take place here.
He said looking at me.
- Oh I didn't know that...
I said like an idiot. Seriously I didn't know anything about football.
- It takes place in Italy.... Milano...
He said still looking at me. Perfect now I had messed everything up. I promised Gareth that we would go since he was so generous and paid the tickets for us but the airplane tickets are expensive let alone the hotel we weren't poor but I knew that we couldn't afford it.
- Uhm dad just give me a minute...
I said and headed towards my bedroom. I locked the door and started yelling at myself. What now ? How could I tell Gareth that we are not able to afford all these things ? I should be honest with him. I took my phone. I called his number.
- Jane.
He sound happy as every time he listened to my voice.
- Hi...
I said not able to start this conversation. I was sure that when I would tell him that we couldn't come because of our financial situation he would insist on paying everything else as well. But I couldn't accept that. It was like I was using him and I didn't want that.
- Is everything alright ?
He asked.
- Uhm yes Gareth. I need to tell you something about the tickets and....
- Oh yes I need to tell you something as well. I booked for you and your father a very beautiful hotel it's near ours. I couldn't book the same hotel for all of us because coach doesn't want us to be with our girlfriens but it's okay because it's for only one night. I also did check in to your flight tickets. We would go to separate flights but we will come back together. I hope this doesn't bother you.
- Gareth why did you do all these ? You paid for everything. I don't want you to do that.
- It's okay Jane. I could do it so I did it. So what did you want to tell me about the tickets earlier ?
- Uhm nothing... just ...just thank you.
I could hear his smile from across the telephone.
- So did you tell your father about it ?
- My father.... oh yes Gareth I'll call you later. Take care. I love you.
Uhm what did I just said ? We were dating for uhm three days or something and I already told him that I loved him ? Okay I was in a hurry but still...
- I love you too Jane.
He said and I felt my heart melt. I hope he meant it because I had the terrible feeling that he just said it because I said it first. But... he never said something he didn't mean and besides he had proved that too me although it was too early for both of us to say that.
- B-bye.
I said wanting me to disappear.
- Bye Jane.
He said and I shut my telephone down.
Okay be calm.
I said to myself as I unlocked the door and headed downstairs. My father was sitting in the couch looking at the tickets probably afraid that he would lose his biggest chance to watch his favourite team playing in the finals of the most important annual event.
- Hi dad...
I said. He looked at me with the hope in his eyes.
- Gareth had paid everyrhing for us...
I said feeling terribly bad as I said that.
- Oh tell him that we owe him.
He said feeling bad as well I think...
- Yeah ...uhm are you happy with that ?
I asked him. He looked at me dissappointed.
- With the chance I mean dad...
I said guilty.
- Yes.. Jane it means everything to me... thank you.
He said.
- Me why ?
I asked.
- I haven't done anything.
I continued.
- Thanks for being my daughter.