2- There's A Lot Of Things You Don't Know About Prison

"HEY, NICKY." I catch up to Nicky who is on her way to her bunk. She turns around and doesn't seem bothered by me stopping here. "Sorry to uh, stop you but I can't find Morello. Are we able to do phone calls?"

I play with my fingers, feeling nervous for some reason. I really want to check up on Millie. She was devastated when I left. It's only been two hours since I've arrived and I already miss her voice.

"We have certain times when we can. The next time is tomorrow morning." Nicky tells me. I think she notices my disappointment, because she gently touches my elbow and scoots closer towards me. "Listen, I'll take you now. We just gotta be quiet."

I shiver at her touch and her words. "No way, I don't want you to get in trouble. This can wait, anyway."

"Kid, I wouldn't be offering this if I didn't want to help you. Come on, we won't get in trouble." Her hand still on my arm, she guides me around the corner towards two sets of phones hanging on the wall. She lets go of me and I rush towards the first phone, pressing it to my ear and dialling my home number.

"Please pick up, please pick up." I repeat quietly to myself as the phone rings. I hope she's at home at the moment, because I don't know her mobile number by heart.

Nicky leans facing me against the wall next to the phone. She has her arms crossed and an amused look upon her face as she watches me.

"Evie?" I nearly squeal in delight when I hear the soft voice of my little sister. Instead, my hand grips the phone cord with eager.

"Oh my God, thank God." I nearly say loudly but Nicky reminds me that we need to be quiet.

"How is this possible? I didn't know you can make phone calls from prison."

"There's a lot of things you don't know about prison." I mutter but she doesn't hear.

"So! How is it? Are you anyone's bitch yet?"

I hold in my laugh. "I haven't been here long enough to know how it is, but so far I've met an amazing group of people. They've helped me forget where I am." I glance at Nicky who's smile has grown even wider. "And no, I'm not anyone's bitch yet."

Nicky laughs quietly. "Millie, have you found a job yet?" I ask, the atmosphere becoming serious suddenly.

I hear Millie sigh over the phone. "No, no ones hiring me. I'm running out of money to pay the bills so I'm probably going to be evicted soon."

I feel my chest tighten. The thought of my sister becoming homeless physically hurts me. "You won't be evicted. Just tell the landlord the situation and he will probably give you an extension. And please, don't stop looking for a job. Even if it's cleaning toilets or something. Any job is good now."

"I miss you here. I miss your cooking. I eat toast everyday for dinner. I'm so sorry Evie. It's my fault you're in this mess." I can tell Millie is crying over the phone. My eyes water.

"Don't say that. It's not your fault. I did what I thought was right. I don't regret it one bit." I look down and blink away the tears.

"I want you home." I hear Millie's voice break halfway into a sob. My tears are back and this time escape my eyes. I hastily wipe them with my sleeve.

"Just eight more years, okay? It's not that bad." My voice shakes as I lie. Millie sobs even harder and I feel my throat tighten. I forgot Nicky was there. I feel embarrassed now and I don't want to look at her to see if she's still smiling or not.

"I'll be twenty-six when you're out. That's ages away!" She practically screams over the phone and more tears escape my eyes. She's right. By that time Millie could be married and have started a family.