18- Laughter Is The Best Medicine

"WHERE'S THE OTHER one? You know, the one with the small tattoos and big hair?" Gloria asks as she watches me lean into the oven to check it out.

"Just me today." I reply, trying to block what happened out of my mind. I wonder where Nicky is right now, seeing as we were supposed to be working on this together.

"I thought you didn't know this shit."

I sigh and it echoes through the oven. "You know who you remind me of? Customers at my old work who would always ask for another server just because that server has been there longer than you have." I slam the oven door shut.

"That's why I never hired anyone to work for me other than my family. I don't trust no one." Gloria says as she begins to wipe the top of the stove.

"So what's the problem with it?" She asks, referring to the oven.

"It's a blown fuse." I say as I rest my lower back against the bench.

"Alright. And what are you gonna do?"

I sigh heavily. "I don't know." I rub my forehead. "It's too complicated for me to fix. You gotta turn off all the lights and unplug a few appliances before we can fix it."

Gloria's eyes widen. "We can't do that! Lunch gotta be cooked in the next hour and a half!" She exclaims.

I shrug and she begins to complain in Spanish. "Look, I'll tell Luschek and we can fix it in the next hour or so." I say but Gloria continues to mumble something under her breath.

"If you can't do this job, why are you doing it?" Maritza speaks up from somewhere behind Gloria. I send daggers her direction. I would of never done that if I wasn't already irritated at Nicky for what she said earlier, as well as the fact that she has the audacity to not show up to work.

"I've already tried asking them if I can move to a different job and they said no." I roll my eyes and sigh. "Something about me not being too bad at this job."

"That's an understatement." Maritza says.

"Evie!"

We all turn around to see Nicky running through the kitchen. I step towards her, worried about why she's in such a rush.

When Nicky reaches me, she leans on her thighs and tries to catch her breath.

"What? What is it?"

Nicky doesn't reply and instead grabs my wrist and pulls me out of the kitchen, leaving Gloria yelling for me to come back.

"Nicky! Stop!" I stop running and forcefully pull my wrist back, causing Nicky to stumble towards me. "We have to go back or we'll get in trouble."

Nicky puts her hands up as she tells me, "this will only take a minute."

I realise Nicky has a habit of pretending things never happened. I'm the complete opposite. I tend to hold a grudge for as long as I can before I finally move on. Even then, I still never get over it and find myself thinking about it now and then. I wish I was more like Nicky, so carefree.

Nicky takes me back to where we were earlier behind the main building. She finally lets go of me and runs towards the back fence while I slowly trail behind.

"Okay, so look." Nicky says when I finally reach her. "After you left, I got pissed off and kicked the fence, right?" She admits.