50- Whirlwind

THE CAR DOOR opens and Chelsea pops up from between. She pulls her black sunglasses off her face as she turns to look at me. She doesn't smile as she approaches me.

"Are you serious?" Is all she says before our bodies collide in an overdue hug. I almost melt in her arms.

"I know, I know, it's a long story." She pulls away to take a better look at me and the building that I have been held captive in. She compares the two.

"I can't believe you've been in prison." She turns around to start walking back to her car. I follow.

"Well, still in prison..." I mumble as I enter the car from the passenger side.

I am about to put on my seatbelt when there is a tap on the window. I look up to see Snow, and he gestures for me to wind it down.

"I'm fine-"

"I know, I know. But just in case you need anything, here's my address." He waits for me to take a piece of paper. I stare at it for a few moments, and Chelsea interrupts.

"Um, it's not like I'm gonna kill her." She says with attitude.

Snow takes no notice of her. "It's just incase."

I smile appreciatively and take it from him. "Thank you anyway."

He nods before walking away.

"And all this time I thought you ran away or something." She shakes her head in disbelief. 

I pursue my lips, waiting for her to say something else. I only have 47 hours and 59 minutes left.

"How did you find yourself in prison, anyway?"

Fuck. Sometimes I forget why I'm in there.

I open my mouth to speak but hesitate. I make a sound, earning a weird look from Chelsea.

"Stealing, you know, shit like that." I finally say. Chelsea frowns.

"Things got that bad that you thought stealing was your only option?" She says with concern.

"Mm-"

"Why didn't you tell me? I could've loaned you some cash."

I shake my head. "I didn't wanna mooch."

"Evie-"

"Chelsea, can we go now? I don't wanna waste time."

"Right, sorry." She turns the key, bringing the engine to life. She won't stop looking at me, even when she is speeding down a rural road.

As we drive, she keeps trying to ask me questions about prison but I'm far too distracted by everything happening outside the window. It's like I'm watching a film, and everyone walking around are just actors. It's too crazy for me to think that these people have normal lives.

"I heard about your mom."

Why does she have to kill my vibe like that?

"When is the funeral?"

"Today. At 1." I still have four hours to kill, but I want to get myself dolled up for this.