8- Les Mis

WHEN I ARRIVE back to the dorm, I'm still raging from my encounter with my mom. I can't believe she had the nerve to come visit me and then after I make it clear that Millie was important to me, ask for me, and only me, to come back to her again.

The weight on my shoulders is just getting heavier and heavier. I thought I could do this but now I'm starting to struggle.

I take in a sharp breath as I walk to my bunk. When I turn around the corner of the short wall dividing our bunks from everyone else, I freeze.

Tricia is drenched head-to-toe, her eye sockets are dark red which stand out in her pale skin, and she's writhing in pain.

I drop in front of her on my knees as I put a hand over her forehead- she's burning hot.

"I'm sorry." Tricia says to me in a shaky voice. She's shivering as if she's cold yet her body tells me otherwise.

I get up and head to my bed, where I rip off my own blanket and return it to Tricia. I cover her up in it, as her blanket alone isn't warming her up.

"What do you want me to do?" I ask, pressing my forehead against hers. Seeing her in this state makes me worry even more. I've never seen anyone this sick before.

"Just...can you stay with me?" Tricia asks as she clutches her stomach.

"Of course." I climb over her so that I'm between her and the wall. I place my hand under the blanket and hold around her waist. I dig my face into the back of her neck to hide the fact that I was about to start crying. I feel terrible for her and I don't like seeing other people suffer.

I can hear her uneven breathing and can feel her body jerking with every breath she takes.

I don't know anything about these symptoms and I'm scared. I feel angry that the COs aren't doing anything about it or even trying to help her.

I hear footsteps approaching our bunk and I lift my head up. Nicky stops at the front and peers in. I sigh in relief and drop my head back down.

"Hey, would it make you feel any better if I told you that it gets easier?" Nicky asks as she takes a seat on my bed across from us. What does she mean? Did Nicky go through this as well? If she did, it eases me a bit because if she could get through it and become the person she is today, then so can Tricia.

"That would make you a liar." Tricia tries to laugh but it just comes out as a grunt in pain.

I avoid eye contact with Nicky. I'm annoyed at her for storming out like that, when all I did was exactly what she said.

"Was that your sister that visited you?" Nicky asks me but I don't open my eyes.

"My mom." I say blandly.

"Lucky you." Nicky says in a sarcastic tone as she rolls her eyes and sits back against the wall.

"Okay, what's your problem with me?" I ask, feeling the excess emotions bottled up in me from seeing my mom burst out. I sit up, my arm leaving Tricia.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Nicky says as she stares at me with her big eyes.

I don't want to do this in front of Tricia, but I can't help it.

"So you're going to pretend that how you acted earlier never happened?"

Nicky is not phased. "I guess so." She shrugs. I give up.

I lay back down next to Tricia and bring my hand to her face from behind. I feel her temperature again which seems to be getting less warm but still pretty hot. Tricia grabs my hand and places it under her face to lay on and I let her.