25- Mother's Day

AFTER WHAT FEELS like forever, bedtime finally arrives. I usually hate when we have to go to sleep, because I know it'll consist of me waking up multiple times or having a nightmare. I also hate when I wake up happy, forgetting where I am before I remember what my life has become and I'm left feeling disappointed again.

As I change into a grey dress that is way too big for me, I glance over at Nicky. She doesn't even look at me as she climbs into her own bed, instead of my bed with me.

My heart kinda breaks. I really miss her. I'm also worried about her, since I know Taystee gave her heroin- her weakness.

I forgive her for the fuckbook, mostly because I believe what she told me. That she genuinely had feelings for me. Maybe I was a bit too harsh on her.

I'm so drowsy from the pills and feel a little nauseous, but I'm sure it's just a normal side effect of sleeping tablets.

I crawl under my blanket and as soon as my face hits the pillow, I instantly fall asleep.

"Wow, she's really out." I hear Piper's voice near my ear. I don't open my eyes. I'm not asleep anymore but I'm not 100 percent awake either.

"Check her pulse." Alex says and I feel Piper's cold fingers on my neck.

"Should we wake her up?" Piper asks Alex. Alex doesn't reply so I'm guessing she shrugged or something.

"I'm up!" I exclaim groggily, still not opening my eyes. I expect to feel amazing when I wake up, like a new person now that I've had my amazing night's sleep. But when I finally open my eyes and sit up, I feel like I just woke from a coma that I was in because I was struck by a truck. I tried to remember last night, to see if maybe I got drunk or something. The feeling was too much like a hangover.

I look around, eyes squinted as the brightness in the room floods my head.

Piper and Alex are the only ones in the dorms, and they look worried.

I throw my legs over the side of the bed and slowly stand up. "What are you two doing here?" I ask.

"It's Mother's Day. Everyone's outside celebrating."

"Shit." I mutter. I had no idea it was Mother's Day today. Not that I necessarily care, as my mother isn't exactly a mother. But to Millie, this day was important. It was a day she would hope for her mom to come back. She never has, and never will.

"Come on, you'll enjoy it." Piper says as she grabs my wrist and pulls me up. I stumble and groan.

"Please let me sleep for a few more hours." I beg. The last thing I wanna do is be surrounded by children. And I love children.

"No! We've let you sleep for two extra hours, now hurry up and get changed."

I slowly strip off my dress and pull on the uniform. As I change, I notice Tricia's bed that was right in front of me, had a mattress and sheets over it.

I glance at Piper and Alex, and then back to the bed.

"Is someone moving in?" I ask as I roll up the sleeves of my pants.

"Looks like it." Alex says.

I don't know how I feel about that. It's been so long since someone else has slept in the same area as me. I guess a part of me, as ridiculous as it sounds, was hoping Tricia would come back and take her bed again.

And plus, I know how terrible it can be having a bunk mate. I was lucky Tricia was amazing, because it could easily be someone who is horrible.

I decide to ignore it for now and follow Alex and Piper outside. As soon as I step into the nice sunny air, I'm almost immediately trampled by a bunch of six year olds chasing each other.