42- Snow

THE TEMPTATION COULD almost kill me. I'm sitting here, fiddling with my thumbs, waiting for Nicky to walk into the room.

When she does, I sit up straight and throw a smile on my face. Nicky wanders in casually, her gaze immediately falling on me. As she gets closer, she speaks.

"Well, I don't think you can hurt your sister anymore than you already have." She doesn't sit down and instead stays standing in front of me, her iconic smirk on her face.

"Thanks anyway... For that..." I'm hoping she will bring it up by the little hints I am dropping to her.

"Of course, anything for you." On the outside, I smile but inside I frown. I guess I'll have to bring it up myself, as much as I don't want to. I don't know if I'm being stupid and overthinking it, but I just want to know if she really meant that we were engaged. I know it's crazy, seeing as this is Nicky and hasn't even asked me to be her girlfriend or partner or whatever she wants to call it, so I know that I won't be too disappointed if she says that we aren't actually engaged.

"Hey, Nicky, about what you said earlier..." I trail off, my voice getting quieter with nerves.

For some reason, Nicky doesn't even seem to understand what I'm referring to, judging by the way that she frowns before sitting down on the bed next to me.

"About how you told Millie that we were engaged..."

"You mean, how you told Millie that we were engaged." She corrects, much to my fear.

Shoot. "Right." For a few minutes I forgot that I was the one who announced it first, and now all my thoughts and plans are ruined.

When I don't continue talking, Nicky takes over, starting with a burst of laughter. "You didn't actually think we were engaged, did you?"

I frown at her. "Not funny." I say.

"I know you're in love with me but I didn't know you were that in love with me." Nicky elbows me in my side, causing me to squirm. "Maybe you should slow it down, don't you think?"

I roll my eyes. She is getting a rise out of this, while I'm dead serious.

Finally, she sighs and stares at me like I'm some sort of fascinating creature. It's hard for me to cover up the fact that I'm feeling slightly annoyed.

"I'll tell you what," her arm reaches out across my back and clasps my opposite arm, drawing me closer, "we can pretend."

I raise an eyebrow at her, asking her why? What's the point? We might as well really be engaged, but then again we are in prison and it's a bit difficult to get a ring.

"What do you mean?"

"You want to keep this going for Millie, right?" I realize that Nicky thinks that this is all for Millie, when truthfully it is all about my genuine desire for her.

However, this is better than nothing.

"Right."

"I'll tell everyone we know so that they'll all go along with it, and Millie will believe it even more."

I feel a smile creep onto my face. It's like playing pretend as a child, only this will be going for much longer than it did when I was seven-years-old.

"Alright."

Nicky hastily kisses my cheek before running off, leaving me alone again.