5- What A Joke

WEARING THAT TAN uniform made me feel invincible, like no one could push me around and I wasn't the 'newbie' anymore. I saw two new girls arrive wearing that infamous orange uniform, and when they looked at me they looked scared, like they didn't know that I was in the same position literally only fourteen hours ago. I even smiled at them but they didn't return it, of course.

"This is great, it's like a sleepover." Morello says as she sits in one of the two bunks across from me. The dorms reminded me of camp. Everything was spaced out and everyone could see everyone.

My partner in the same bunk as me was Tricia, while Nicki and Morello were straight across from us. We were at the end of the room, which felt like we were a little secluded from the others.

"Anyone visiting you today?" Tricia asks as she folds a blanket from across the bunk.

I give her a quick glance. "Millie, hopefully. Or maybe Chelsea." I think.

"Chelsea?"

"She's the only friend I have out there. We worked together at the diner until I got fired." I say but I can't help but smile at the memory.

Tricia chuckles. "Why would anyone fire you?"

I drop my blanket on the bed and turn around to face her. "I was just...getting really tired of this customer's shit, you know?"

Tricia nods. "Yeah. Trust me, I know."

The CO in the booth at the front gets up from his seat and walks out toward us. It's the guy with the moustache. I get a weird feeling from him.

"Alright, time for dorm checks." He says as she walks to the first block.

"What's happening?" I whisper to Tricia when I notice everyone moving out of the block to stand in front of it.

"We gotta stand here until they check our stuff. No need to be scared unless you're hiding something." Tricia says and I sigh in relief. I'm not hiding anything.

I look at Nicky who stands in front of us, and notice that she's glaring at Tricia. And I mean, glaring- her eyes squinted and her eyebrows drawn closely. Tricia either doesn't realise or doesn't care. I can't help but wonder, do the two have history together or something?

I flinch when I hear items being thrown around and mattresses being flipped. I sneakily turn my head to see what was happening. The CO was trashing the whole bunk, and I can't hide my shock.

The CO strolls out of the bunk as if nothing happened. "Clear!" He shouts, making the inmate beside him jump in fright.

I look at Tricia bewildered. She gives me a look as if to say "that's normal". I didn't want him to trash our bunk, especially since we just spent the last hour setting everything up.

When the CO reaches our bunk, I can't help but start sweating. I'm not hiding anything, so why am I so nervous?

The CO is obviously enjoying himself as he flips everything we have. He even whistles to himself.

The CO steps between Tricia and I, and gives us both a look. I hadn't even realised that I was frowning until the CO steps in front of me, blocking my view.

"Is there a problem?" He asks closely to my face. I can smell the coffee on his breath.

I move my head back a little. "Is there a problem?!" He suddenly shouts, spit spraying me.