What you need {Oliver}

He came back to class. I was surprised. His hand was raw and bloody. He was edged on all sides, ready to cut. I urged him with my eyes, but he never looked up. When the bell rang he sat there solitary. I wanted to loiter for him but I was swept out with the students. I walked down the hall to the cafeteria and plopped down at our table. Vic sat next to me and gave me a slight nod. I waited for Austin to come around the corner but he never did. I frowned. Mike and Tony had sat down, poking fun at each other. Vic nudged me with his knee.

"What's up sour puss?"

I turned and looked at him.

"What's wrong with Austin?"

Tony laughed, mouth half full of French fries.

"Question is what isn't wrong with Austin"

Vic leaned over and punched him, raising his eyebrows at him. He looked back at me.

"I don't know. He's being weirder than normal."

He looked at me sincerely.

"He's probably worried about leaving you here alone."

I nodded. Vic smiled at me.

"Maybe I should go over after school?"

Mike nodded.

"Good idea broski"

~

I was slightly out of breath when I reached his front door. I wiped my palms on my jeans and rapped on the door. There was a shuffling behind the door and some one grabbed the handle. The door flung open and Heather was standing there. She smiled at me.

"Oh you must be Owen."

I smiled at her nervously.

"Uh it's Oliver."

She laughed.

"I'm just atrocious with names"

She adjusted her posture, sticking her chest out towards me. I smiled more tentatively.

"What can I help you with?"

She cooed.

"I'm uh here to see Austin"

She dropped her posture.

"Oh. Well he's in his room."

She opened the door wider and I stepped in. I laid my bag next to the door, along with my vans and climbed the massive stair case to his room. His door was open slightly. I gave it a small knock but he didn't answer. I pushed it open to see him laying in bed. He had his headphones in, his eyes closed. His face was still masked in anger. He opened his eyes and looked at me. He scowled. He took out his headphones and raised himself up, resting on his elbows.

"What are you doing here?"

I smiled softly.

"Just wanted to see you."

He rolled his eyes. I laughed.

"I think it was you who told me not to roll my eyes. Something about retinal detachment?"

He frowned at me. I dropped my smile.

"Not so jovial I see."

He sighed. He swung his long legs over the side of the bed and he rested his head in his hands.

"I'm sorry"

He looked up at me.

"I'm not mad at you. Just frustrated."

I sat down next to him.

"About?"

He looked at me.

"You"

A small smile crept to my face.

"Me?"

"Yeah"

He said quietly. His hand was lying close to mine. I slowly reached over and looped my pinky around one of his fingers. He didn't move.

"Why?"

Another finger.

"I just know somethings wrong and I know if when I leave something will happen to you and I'm just scared."

I slid my fingers between his.

"And why do you think that?"

"Because I was right about it the first time."

He whispered. Our palms were touching. His hands were blazing, but they felt nice against my own skin. He gave my hand a small squeeze.

"Well Vic is watching over me. I'm sure he won't let me out of his sight."

I gave him a squeeze back.

"I know. Just. I don't trust them."

I stroked his index finger with my thumb.

"I know you don't. But I promised that nothing is wrong and they've avoided me like the plague. And if it's because you've been around then so be it that way. If they said anything to me i would tell you instantly. "

A pang of guilt stuck in me for lying. He looked down at our hands, a small smile coming to his mouth.