The depths {Austin}

They were late. I looked down at my watch, impatiently awaiting them. Lynn absently clicked her pen. Repeatedly. Clickclickclick.

"Lynn."

I said, staring at her. She smiled sheepishly, pocketing the pen inside her blazer.

"I thought you said they'd be here by 9"

I said, standing to pace the room.

"Well that's what it says here."

She said, holding out her agenda. I took it, studying her scripted handwriting, looping about on the page. There were nonsense notes scribbled In the margins, and a crudely drawn stick figure with a vivacious badonk. I set the book onto my desk.

"How tediously professional, Lynn."

I laughed. I leaned against the desk, staring at the door. There were three timid knocks and my receptionist peeked her head around the door.

"Mr.Carlile, the people from Forbes are here for you."

I gave her an apt smile.

"Thank you, please send them in."

She scurried away. In prowled in a long legged, fiery haired woman, wearing a white skirt suit and hot pink stilettos. She was serious business. Her counterpart followed in behind her. She trounced up to me, extending her hand.

"So sorry for your inconvenience Mr. Carlile. My apologies. I am Adela Hannon, from Forbes."

I shook her hand in return.

"Please. Just call me Austin."

I motioned for her to sit down. I sat at my desk, the thick panel of glass between us.

"How're you today, Austin."

"Fine"

I said back, clipped. Adela smiled.

"If I've put you off I apologize."

I leaned forward, bracing my forearms against the desk.

"I am a very busy man. I would appreciate if this interview could start so it could conclude. You feel me?"

She held up her hand in retort.

"I understand completely."

She crossed her legs, red pen clutched between her pale fingers, pressed to a crisp yellow legal pad.

"Do you mind if my partner records our interview? For clarity and accuracy purposes"

I nodded.

"Well to begin, I am here in Portland with Austin Carlile, the new heir to Carlile industries. Tell me Austin, how does it feel to be an owner, CEO and CFO of your own company before becoming a college graduate?"

I have her a tight lipped smile.

"It's overwhelming. A real head rush. At least now I can't say I don't know what I want to do with my future."

I jabbed. She glanced at me over the notepad.

"Tell me why you chose to take over for your father?"

"I'd always assumed the business would make its way down the ladder to me, none of us ever though under these pretense I supposed."

She smiled.

"And by pretense you mean your father death, correct?"

"My father made very bad choices with very unforgiving people."