Pain {Austin}

I felt restless. I pulled the covers from me and stood. The warm sun spilled through the windows, bathing the house in a golden hue. I walked down the stairs, bustling in the kitchen, the dogs click clacking across the marble. A house so alive in the intimate hours of dawn. I peered around the corner. Oliver stood hunched over the stove. The dogs sat expectantly at his feet.

"Good morning."

He glanced over his shoulder, a small smile.

"Heather let me in, I felt you wouldn't mind."

I offered him a grin.

"I never do."

He made his way to me, a radiance flourishing from his angelic skin. I wrapped him in a tender embrace, his delicate touch surrendering on my cheek and a buttery kiss placed against my lips.

"My bed was so desolate without you in it"

I whispered against his warm mouth.

"I'm so sorry that I couldn't join you. I was sleepless, just no one like you to be with"

I held him to my chest. I found it tediously comforting to have him in my clutches. As I attempted to sleep through the night, lonesome in my endeavors, I realized that I was so dependently attached to him. He was my roots that tethered me to my grounds. We were jolted from our moment by a knock on the door.

"I got it."

I said, abandoning him in the doorway. I opened the door to see a middle aged woman in a pressed khaki uniform standing there, the remnants of her morning cigarette still apparent. She held a large cardboard box.

"Austin?"

"That would be me"

I said hesitantly.

"Here you go."

She handed me the box.

"Thank you."

I said cautiously. She departed me with a smile and closed the door. I carried the box into the kitchen, setting it on the counter. Oliver came to me, his hands circling my waist. I placed my hand over his, his lips parading over my spine. I tore the tape from the box, wading it up on the counter. Inside was a large vase teeming with picturesque roses, white petals velvety and ever abundant. Expensive. In the center sat a single red rose, dark and lush. Nestled behind the flower was a crisp white envelope with black typing. I pulled the card from the vase and opened it.

"You were so consumed with the thorns that you neglected the snake at your feet. - J.D."

His hands felt heavier. Unsettling. crumpled the card in my hand. I pulled from his grasp. His face was mum, the slightest fear of doubt washed his face. I cleared my throat.

"Do you know why Josh would be sending me roses?"

I tried to sound confident, but rage reigned into the words, buoyantly floating.

"Austin what's wrong."

He asked, voice similarly unsure.

"Do I need to be concerned."

I asked, setting my shoulders.

"Austin why would you even need to ask that?"

He said, his defenses rising.

"I just want to know if I need to be concerned about Josh."

"Of course not."

"Do you promise?"

"I do."

I pulled him in, tightly. I felt wound up, ready to spin out of control. I sighed, biting back the urge to cry right now. I wanted to lay myself bare before him now. Deny what I was meant to confront. I laid my head against his shoulder, lips grazing the space beneath the lobe of his ear. Despite myself, and my doubt, denial and agony, I whispered:

"You don't taste like you anymore."