Chapter 20 Shadows of Pawns

(Interview on Shizuka Roland: Year 2031, April 13)

"Oh, my god! He's going to jump! He's going to jump! Someone stop him!"

"Isn't that Taro?! Oh, man! It is Taro! What does that idiot think he's doing?! TARO! Don't do it!!"

Shizuka and the man sat together, the camera at a different angle to watch a video that was posted online three years ago. The scene showing Taro Takato on top of the roof, the very edge of it with his arms raised up around his shoulder.

???: "Is this recognizable? Were you there when this happen?"

Shizuka: "I wish I was, I would have tried to save him. When I saw it on the internet, I didn't pay attention to the title. I saw the building of my school and recognized Taro on the top...this is the video."

???: "But he didn't died, the video caught him...I have seen him in class before but that was the first time I acknowledge Ayumu."

"Wait! There is someone there! Yes! He grabbed him!"

"Oh, thank god! I am so glad someone stopped him from jum-wait, are they fighting?!"

The video was now showing Ayumu, though only visible thing of him was his silver hair, who has grabbed Taro. Pulled back to the fence through the cut open part that Taro has opened. The video continue to see Taro and Ayumu beginning to fight.

???: "It seemed that Mr. Takato didn't want to be saved."

Shizuka: "Don't care, I'm glad Ayumu kicked his ass...suicide isn't the answer to anything. Ayumu is a lot more skilled than I thought, he always had control over himself but the beating he gave Taro had his arm dislocated and a broken nose. Took 4 teachers to pry Ayumu off of Taro who was punching and swearing at the suicidal bastard."

???: "So Ayumu was actually unstable?"

Shizuka: "No, don't go twisting my words. Connect the dots, Ayumu's sister killed herself. Taro was going to do the same so Ayumu was furious and beyond of it. But it snapped Taro to his senses somehow, he was given help and Ayumu was saved from suspension."

???: "And how did he managed that?"

Shizuka: "I helped, as a...'respected' student. They listen to my pleas and had left Ayumu alone since he did prevent a student from jumping off the roof...I guess that is why he hangs around the roof during lunch so much...Taro had been seen at the roof with his hands on the fence, simply standing there and Ayumu has as well...a student has told me what he saw on the roof with those two...Ayumu would stare...Taro would look away. He wouldn't look at Ayumu, they wouldn't speak to each other...but I know there wasn't anything to say."

???: "And why is that?"

Shizuka: "...They were arguing...Taro wanted to die and Ayumu was the only person who stood between that. Taro could have done it at home...but he didn't. He wanted the roof to be the place. But Ayumu was the one person...the only one to stop Taro from finishing it..."

???: "..."

Shizuka: "...I really wished he let him, because that would not have only saved the lives lost in the game...but also ended Taro's misery."

???: "Saved the lives?"

Shizuka: "...Hm...now that is the story that puts things into that big bowl of puzzles of yours, huh?"

...

...

...

---Last Time, After the Last Chapter---